Part 125

Sad chapter, sorry
3rd September 1991
Brian's POV
I knew something was wrong with Dad, he'd gone into the hospital late at night, not being able to keep anything down and having quite a bad time with going to the loo. Roger had sent me off to be with him, saying it could be my last chance, so I went and got there within twenty minutes, finding Mum already at the bedside and completely panicking.

"Brian! O-oh, my baby boy... come here" she cooed and started crying as she wrapped her arms around me and buried her head in my chest, "Mum, Mum, calm down. It's okay" I cooed and kissed her head then looked at Dad. "Go outside and calm down, phone Roger if you want, he'll help you" I said and handed her the mobile phone which she took and went outside. "Brian..." Dad muttered and I went to his side and gently took his hand, "I'm here Dad, h-how do you feel?"

"I'm in agony" he said and I noticed he was gripping his stomach before he kept repeating that phrase over and over, "Dad, I'll get the nurse in and she can give you painkillers" I said and pressed the button, "no, no! Don't call the nurse! I'm okay" he said and I shook my head, "no, please trust me this once. You've taken care of me all my life and now I have to take care of you" I said and he looked at me as the nurse came in and saw that he was in pain.

The nurse went off to get painkillers as Dad just stared blankly at me, "don't-don't worry about me. Worry about your mother, she's been worried sick about me and to be fair, I'd rather have died a week ago than worry her like that. Please take care of her" he said and I shook my head, tears forming in my eyes, "nobody's dying, Dad. You're gonna be okay" I said and he sighed as the nurse handed him a cup.

He drank all of it down then just looked at me as a tear rolled slowly down his cheek, "Brian... all these years we've been on bad terms from you really disappointing me but I-I see why you did it now. You got an amazing career out of it, a great family and I'm so proud of you, son, I really am" he said and I could've started crying, he was talking like he was about to die and I didn't want him to, I didn't want this to be happening.

I looked at him and his face softened a little, "get my wallet for me" he said and pointed shakily at Mum's handbag so I picked it up and found his wallet then gave it to him. He opened it up and showed me a picture of me and Mum on the beach when I was a teenager.

"You haven't changed since then" he said and I smiled then got up and hugged him as tight as I could and tried to force the tears back but they flowed out like a river

"You haven't changed since then" he said and I smiled then got up and hugged him as tight as I could and tried to force the tears back but they flowed out like a river. "I love you Dad, I don't know what I'm gonna do without you" I sobbed and he rubbed my back, "you'll find something to do, Brian, trust me. You'll soon get over me and focus on your own family"

"It won't be easy" I said and he smiled slightly, "I never said it would be. Just think of me when you need me, I'm sure I'll find some way to pester you when I'm gone" he laughed weakly then his face contorted into one of pain and he cried out. Mum came back into the room at that point and I had to reassure her that he was okay and let her sit next to him and hold his hand, a wife's touch always helped in situations like these, it was comforting.