𝘻𝘦𝘳𝘰.

LAWRENCE, KANSAS22 YEARS AGO

LAWRENCE, KANSAS
22 YEARS AGO

     MARY WINCHESTER carried her four-year-old son into her six-month-old baby girl's nursery. "Come on, let's say goodnight to your sister" Mary said softly to the young boy before she turned on the light to the room, setting her son down on the ground.

Dean Winchester quickly scurried over to his baby sister Samantha's crib, looking in to see her looking straight back at him. He, unlike a lot of children, had been excited to have a younger sister and adored her so much.

He leaned over the crib as best as he could and kissed her on the forehead. " 'Night Sam" Mary leaned over too, looking fondly at her baby girl. "Goodnight, love," She told the baby, kissing her goodnight on her forehead.

"Hey Dean," The four-year-old turned around to see his father, John Winchester, standing in the doorway of his sisters nursery. "Daddy!" Dean exclaimed, running over to his father.

"Hey buddy!" John scooped him up into his arms, happy to see his eldest child. "So what do you think? You think Sammy's ready to toss around a football yet?" John teased playfully, earning giggles from Dean who shook his head. "No daddy" John laughed. "No?" Mary, seeing that her husband had the kids, walked past them to exit the room before pausing and turning around for a second.

"You got him?" She inquired, double checking that her husband didn't need her help. "I got him" John answered, holding his son even closer to him. Mary then left.

"Sweet dreams, Samantha" John said softly to his daughter before turning off the light of the nursery and shutting the door behind him.

Samantha gurgled, obviously not tired yet. The baby occupied herself by reaching for her toes and babbling nonsense.

The angel-themed crib mobile started spinning above her head, capturing her attention. The clock started going crazy, the nightlight started to flicker.

***

Mary Winchester woke up instinctively, the lights flickering in the hallway and weird noises coming from the baby monitor. She turned on the light in the bedroom, glancing over to the other side of the bed to see that her husband was missing. "John?" She hazily got out of bed and walked down the hallway to her daughter's nursery.

A black, shadowed figure was in there, standing over Samantha's crib. In her half-awake state, Mary assumed it was John since the stature was also around the same as her husbands. "John? Is she hungry?" The figure shushed her, not saying anything else. "All right" Mary mumbled, assuming her husband didn't want her to disturb the baby.

Mary started heading down the hallway back to her room when she stopped suddenly as she noticed the light in the hallway was flickering. She walked up to it and tapped the light a few times until it steadied. "Hmm" She hummed to herself quietly.

She then noticed that there was a dull light on downstairs. Growing more concerned by all these weird instances, Mary carefully made her way downstairs to double check that it was nothing.

There was a war movie playing on the tv that was usually on if Dean wasn't around, but John was also down there on the couch as he fell asleep.

Terror ran through Mary's body as her eyes widened, realizing that someone broke into her house and was in her baby girl's bedroom. Mary instantly ran up the staircase. "Sammy, Sammy!" Mary finally entered the room and stopped short, looking at the scene in front of her.
***

John Winchester was startled awake when his wife's screams echoed throughout the home. "Mary?" He quickly scrambled up from the couch and raced upstairs as he followed the sound. "Mary!"

Samantha's room was the only one with the door open, so he made his way there. He tried his hardest to enter the room quietly, a bit shocked to see it empty besides his little girl in her crib, still awake. John walked over to the crib, glancing at his daughter to make sure she was okay.

"Hey Sammy, you okay?" Something dark dripped from the ceiling and landed next to Samantha on her cot. John touched it softly with his finger, growing even more confused than he already was when the dripping continued.

John looked up to find the source of the substance, only to be fully petrified at what he was met with. His wife was pinned up on the ceiling, a fearful look frozen on her face as her normally white nightgown was stained red in her stomach area. John collapsed in sorrow, struggling to breathe at the sight. "No! Mary!"

The love of his life bursted into flames, the ceiling following soon after. John froze as he watched the sight in front of him, only interrupted from his frozen state by the sound of his daughter's wails. John hurried over to the crib and scooped his baby girl into his arms, rushing out of the room.

Dean; who had woken up from all the noise, walked out of his bedroom and unexpectedly ran into his dad. "Daddy!" John put his baby sister in his arms. "Take your sister outside as fast as you can and don't look back! Now, Dean, go!" Dean had gotten a glimpse of the sight that would haunt him forever, nodding at his father's demand before running out with his baby sister.

John stayed back, looking at the sight of his soulmate burning alive as she was pinned on the ceiling.

***

Dean was a good distance away from the house trying to calm down his baby sister. "It's okay, Sammy" Dean looked at the window of Samantha's nursery that was lit with a golden color.

John finally came running outside, scooping up his two children back into his arms just in time to get them away from the fire-explosion that shot out from Samantha's window.

***

The fire department came, neighbors surrounded the area in worry for the Winchester family.

John was heartbroken, losing his wife to something he could not understand just yet. Dean was barely able to cope and figure out what just happened, keeping his attention on his baby sister.

And Samantha, well, she had no idea what was in store for her...