1- The Runaway and the Waitress

Bucky's POV: 

They taught me to fear the dark. They forgot to mention what happens in the light. Why would they? They're evil jerks who deserve to fall. But I need to stop thinking about that. I need to focus on what I'm trying to do: Get out of here and get to Brooklyn. Keeping my head low, I pay the elderly man running the bus with a few crumpled up dollar bills. Nodding to him quickly, I take my seat in the middle of the bus. Glancing about quickly, I notice only a few other people are riding. Resting my head on the headrest of the seat, I let out a long sigh and close my tired eyes. 

I've been on the run for three months. Why? Because I broke out of the HYDRA base and they're looking for me. I know I'll be safer in Brooklyn; it's where I grew up, my home, my safe place. I know that I won't be able to find Steve but that's fine, I'll make due on my own. Besides, he'd probably try and turn me into an Avenger and no way's happening. I allow my thoughts to drift away and slowly, I drift off to sleep. 

Virginia's POV:

Pulling my curly ash brown hair into a ponytail, I walked over to the mirror. Tugging my turquoise shirt into place, I inspect my outfit in the mirror: V-neck t-shirt, ripped black skinny jeans, and dark grey checkered Vans. My sea-green eyes shimmered with joy and I smiled. Today was going to be a good day, I can feel it. After giving my cat Benjamin a quick goodbye, I was out of the apartment and walking down the block with a bounce in my step. I waved to the neighbors as I passed them, feeling bubbly and excited today. I skipped into the coffee shop beaming. 

"Morning Mr.Union!", I chirped, spinning behind the counter.

"Good morning Virginia! Ready to start another day?", He grinned, kissing the top of my head.

To me, he was the grandpa I never had. I pulled on my apron and tied the ribbon into a perfect little bow. After turning on the coffee maker and the cash register, I clicked on the old jukebox. Although Mr. Union was great, he was extremely old fashioned. He chuckled as I spun around the small cafe, enjoying the music. I breezed into the kitchen and prepared for customers. I heard the jingle of the bell above the door and I hurried to the front counter. "Morning Maggie! The usual?" I gushed, pulling a coffee cup from the shelf.

"You know me so well, deary", she cooed as I passed her the cup.

The rest of the morning was calm and just like the rest. The usual customers would enter and order what they always had a few new customers and the occasional little kid that wanted hot chocolate or a pastry. Everything was going just how I liked it too.

Bucky's POV:

I groggily opened my eyes to see that the bus had stopped. A few strangers entered the bus while others exited. I rubbed my eyes and sat up, trying to remember what was going on. Oh yeah, I had taken a bus hoping to end up in Brooklyn. Standing, I stumbled to the bus driver and asked him where I was.

 He smiled and replied, "You're in Brooklyn, New York son."

I thanked him and couldn't help but smile just slightly. I'd finally made it to Brooklyn. Stepping off, I gazed up at the huge skyscrapers and towering buildings. This place had changed since I'd last been here. Trudging down the busy sidewalk, I feel my stomach grumble. As if by chance, I glance to my left to lay my eyes on a small coffee shop called The Coffee Corner. Shrugging, I stroke inside. A small bell jangles above my head as I stepped in. Looking around, I scanned the room of people. Then I saw her.

Virginia's POV:

I finished getting the order of a father and his young daughter and looked toward the door at the sound of the bell. A muscular looking man stood in front of the coffee shop. He had shoulder-length dark brown hair that covered parts of his face. His hands were buried in his pockets. But when his gaze met mine, I stopped dead. He had the most beautiful eyes I'd ever seen. They were gunmetal blue and they pierced my heart.