4- Son Passé {Her Past}

Bucky's POV:

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of singing. My eyes slowly opened and I yawned tiredly. Glancing about the room, I remembered where I was and smiled softly. Benjamin, her fluffy cat, hoped into my lap, meowing for attention. I began to stroke its small head as I listened to the singing. I then realized the lyrics were in French and from a song I'd heard on the radio called 'Dernière Danse'. But as the song continued, I realized there were two female voices and I only remember one. I turned around and my eyes widened to the size of dinner plates.

Virginia...

was singing...

in French?!

I had no idea she even knew the language. I was impressed and extremely surprised. Not only did she pronounce the words perfectly, but her voice was absolutely amazing. I watched as she cooked breakfast, singing along with a beautiful smile on her face. I placed the cat on the couch as it pleaded for more attention. I stood up and walked over to the breakfast bar and sat on the stool, resting my elbows on the table. Her back was turned so I just waited for her to turn around. As she did, she looked up from her cooking to see me smiling at her. Her cheeks flushed and my smile only grew. "You're singing is amazing", I told her sweetly in French.

She looked up and her face told me that she was shocked that I even knew how to speak in French. "Thanks...I normally don't sing.", she replied, her French rolling off of her tongue beautifully.

"But it's so beautiful, even better than the original singer", I commented, the language coming back to my memory.

Her cheeks flushed again and I chuckled under my breath. "I learned the language after I got the Super Soldier Serum. Once HYDRA realized what I could do, they put me to work as a spy and as a..",she trailed off and sighed, her smile fading. She looked at me with her stunning eyes and I could sense so much sadness. She continued,"As an assassin. I will never forget the terrified looks in people's eyes as I killed them. They pleaded and begged, screamed for mercy. But I didn't even flinch. I looked them straight in the eye and killed them", she choked on the last words and tears glittered on her eyelashes, threatening to pour." I've seen so much death Bucky. I hate having to live with that burden every day of my life. And the worst part of it all, I lost my closest friends. They're dead, because of me, "Her voice cracked and she began to weep.

I stood up and walked around to the other side of the breakfast bar. Without hesitation, I pulled her into a deep hug. She buried her face into my chest, my shirt starting to become soaked from her tears. Her shaky, shuddered breaths tore my heart in two. I felt horrible for her and I gently rested my head on top of hers, rubbing her back in comfort. Her arms rested on my chest as she continued to sob. I quietly hushed her and assured her that it wasn't really her fault. Shushing her comfortingly, I began to hum an old lullaby in Russian. Her breaths grew less shaky and she hiccuped. Cradling her in my arms, I ran my fingers through her hair gently, continuing to comfort her that it was HYDRA controlling her then and it wasn't really her head. Slowly, her crying subsided but I continued to hold her until I was sure that she was going to be okay. I gave her a quick kiss on the head, knowing she wouldn't feel it. She slowly looked up at me and I wiped away the stray tears from her face with the pads of my thumbs.

Virginia's POV:
As Bucky wiped away the last few tears, I managed a small smile. His smile showed relief and I buried my head into his chest once more. I felt bad because I'd just spilled my whole life out and now he knows. Although, now that he knows my past from when I was in HYDRA, perhaps we'll have a stronger bond. I knew that he was another soldier tested with the serum. He too was put to work by HYDRA. Killing, hunting, not really knowing what you've done. And the second you get a hint of memory from your past life, it's wiped away again. But I am more than happy that now I remember my childhood. The only problem? I still remember some of the people I killed. Every day I live with that burden. Every morning, I awake with the memories of death; people screaming for mercy, families torn apart, and tears shed. If I could go back in time, I'd convince my past self to never enlist. Of course, the I'd never meet Bucky. But I just wish I didn't have to remember what happened. If I didn't, I'd honestly be much happier. With a small sigh, I slowly broke the hug. I didn't want to, but I felt better now and I knew he was probably getting tired of me soaking up his shirt.
Bucky's POV:
As she pulled away, I gave her a warm smile. I hoped she was feeling better and I knew she was when she flashed me her adorable lopsided grin. She gave me another quick hug before pulling away and going back to making breakfast. Feeling sympathetic, I took her hands in mine and set down the food. I told her to rest and assured her I can make breakfast. She thanked me and shuffled over to the couch, sitting down carefully. She plucked the cat from off of the couch and flicked on the TV. As she watched the news, I finished the meal. After about five minutes, I announced it was done. Turning around, she laughed quietly. I had successfully made pancakes and ham. She stood up from the couch and joined me at the breakfast bar and together we ate, laughing at joking. And as the sadness from moments before faded away, I knew that together, we could do anything.
AN:
How did I do? Please please PLEASE comment! And vote too! Can't wait to keep this story going!