5- I've Got You

Bucky's POV:

I tossed and turned in my sleep, feeling restless. My breaths were out of sync and fast. I rolled over again, tightening my grip on the sheets. I squeezed my eyes tight, trying to get the image out of my brain. It wouldn't leave my mind and I tossed again.

Bucky's dream:

Children. 18 of them; cowering in a corner of their classroom. Most were crying, some comforting, others just plain terrified. The desks were surrounded about them, the teacher's desk pushed against the door. Blinds on the window are pulled down, the lights are off, and everything has a tension strung between it. Out of those 18 children, there were three that were the ones ingrained into Bucky's dream. Steve Rogers, Virginia Spyvit, and James Barnes. James was holding Virginia close as she sniffled into his shoulder. Steve sat next to them, looking like he was on the verge of hysteria.

BANG!

Another gunshot rang out throughout the silence. A few kids jumped, others yelped, and a few became tense. Virginia did all three at the sound and clutched James's shirt tighter. She was on edge due to the fact that her sister, Pattie, was still out in the halls. Fear and stress pumped through her veins as she prayed that her sister was okay. Suddenly, there was a loud smack and a thud. Shuffling and muffled cries were heard out in the hall. Everyone's heads snapped up to the screams in the halls. More scuffling. "NO! LET ME GO! STOP!", the girl screamed.

A choked sob could be heard and Virginia gasped, certain that the screams were coming from her sister. The sound of the girl being dragged across the floor could be heard as the footsteps echoed across the tile floors. Finally the footsteps ceased but her cries for mercy filled the students ears. Steve sighed heavily, a small sob escaped his throat and he met his friend's eyes. They shared a glance of fear and sorrow. "PLEASE STOP! NO! I BEG YOU PLEASE! HEL-"

BANG!

Bucky's POV:

My eyes snapped open and I sat straight up. My whole body was shaking, my breath unsteady, and cold sweat dripping down my back, soaking my t-shirt. I ran my cold metal hand through my untidy hair. Rubbing my face with my hands, I attempted to calm myself; but I couldn't. My breath quickened and my heart rate went sky high. I looked about the room and everything was lost in a blur. My shaking body curled in on itself. I pulled my knees to my chest and began to cry. I let the hot tears flow down my cheeks, my shuddered breaths filling my ears. The gunshot from the dream rang in my ears, the sound of the girl screaming, begging for help. I shivered. As my sobs grew louder, I heard the sound of lights being flicked on and soft footsteps . I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to remove the image from my mind but it wouldn't leave, causing more tears to pour. I heard the sound of the door slowly creak open and more soft footsteps. I felt something in front of me but I paid no attention. I tensed up when I felt the sudden warmth surround me. I then realized what it was: Virginia. Her hug tightened and she began to shush me quietly, assuring everything was fine and that I didn't have to worry because it was only a dream. I shuddered a sigh and I heard her whisper, "Oh Bucky, you poor thing."

I released my legs from my arms and wrapped them around her. She leaned forward, hugging my tightly. I sighed and a few more tears dripped down my face, soaking her shoulder. She broke the hug and cupped my face in her small hands. She whispered something in French and cooed, making me feel calmer. Her presence was helping me. Her almond colored thumbs wiped away the stray tears and she gazed into my eyes. I placed my hands on her arms and looked back int her stunning eyes. She smiled sweetly and I couldn't help but grin when her eyes crinkled in the corners. She gently rested her forehead against mine and I did the same, sighing contently. "Look Virginia, I know this is gonna sound super weird, but will you stay here with me tonight?", I asked, still looking into her eyes.
"Of course James", she smiled. She removed her hands from my face and slid off the bed. She pulled down the covers and crawled in next to me, pulled the covers back up, and cuddled next to me. I wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. Her body heat instantly made me feel more relaxed and I felt my lips curve into a smile. As she began to drift off to sleep, she buried her head into my chest, and fell asleep. I sighed once more and rested my chin on top of her head. Slowly, my eyelids grew too heavy for me to bare, and I closed them, allowing myself to fall asleep once more.
Virginia's POV:
As my breathing changed and my thoughts drifted to scattered dreams, I felt Bucky's breathing change and I knew he'd gone back to sleep. I felt horrible for him, all of those revolting memories etched into his memory like initials on a tree. I wondered what he had dreamed about that had shaken him so, but knew batter than to ask. For now, I'll enjoy the time right now and help him as much as possible. He needed someone to be there for him, to whisper everything is okay, to let him know it was only a dream. And being his friend that he trusted immensely, I knew I was the one that was going to help him. HYDRA had ruined us both and I knew what it felt like to be used against your will. Your body turned into some sort of killing monster that you can't recognize. All of your memories flushed away. Being told that your mission is all that matters. Then you wake up and the next thing you know S.H.I.E.L.D is holding you in a cell trying to turn you back into the person you once were. Sure you get your old memories back and all of that good stuff, but there's a catch. Those memories of HYDRA.

They.

Never.

Leave.
I've tried so many times to erase what I've done but it's impossible. But I've learned to cope with them and push them to the back of my mind. From what happened tonight, I'm guessing Bucky hasn't learned to do so. Even if it wasn't a dream about HYDRA, those bad memories are what is triggering these nightmares. So I intend to help him; in any way I can. But for now, I'll enjoy this moment I have with him. His strong arms wrapped around me gently, holding my close and keeping both of us safe. His soft and rhythmic breathing following his slow drumming heart. And I notice, it's all in sync with mine. I snuggle closer and sigh contently. 

Life was going to be okay.

AN:

Sorry this was kinda sad but I had to get it out of the way. More funny and exciting memories are yet to come! Please comment and vote!