2.1: Dead in the Water

Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin

"Vodka in the morning?" Dean tsked. "I'm surprised a dinner even serves vodka in the morning."

"I was pleasantly surprised," Mary Jane said gently as she smiled against the burn sending knives down her throat. Alcohol was one of the only things she could consume and enjoy. "It'll help wake me up."

"More like put you down. I'm not carrying you back to the car," he warned.

Mary Jane smirked devilishly. "You'd pay to carry me back, don't lie."

Dean smirked back and was no doubt about to come up with a flirtatious quip in return if it wasn't for the waitress, her name tag read her as Wendy, walking up with a large plastered smile on her face.

"Can I get you anything else?" she asked sweetly.

Dean leaned back appreciatively and grinned at her. The blonde Wendy merely rolled her eyes, probably getting men like that in here every day. She turned her sights instead on Mary Jane, giving her a smile that could be considered sly.

"What about you, gorgeous? Another drink?"

"You know, I think I'd like something more," Mary Jane smirked. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Dean's mouth fall open and that only made her smirk more wolfish.

"Actually," Sam interrupted, sliding into the seat next to Dean. "We'll just take the check please."

Wendy nodded, reluctantly, and gave Mary Jane one last pointed look before she placed their check on the table and waltzed away. Mary Jane pouted to herself, letting her head fall and hit her chest.

"You two are horrible," Sam shook his head.

"You ruin all the fun, Sam," Mary Jane muttered.

Dean rolled his eyes and slapped down the newspaper he was writing on in front of Sam. "Here, take a look at this, I think I got one. Lake Manitoc, Wisconsin. Last week Sophie Carlton, eighteen, walks into the lake, doesn't walk out. Authorities dragged the water; nothing. Sophie Carlton is the third Lake Manitoc drowning this year. None of the other bodies were found either. They had a funeral two days ago."

"A funeral?" Sam asked as his eyes scanned over the paper.

"For what? A puddle of water?" Mary Jane's voice was heavy with sarcasm.

"Yeah, it's weird," Dean shrugged. "They buried an empty coffin. For, uh, closure or whatever."

"Closure?" Sam snorted. "What closure? People don't just disappear, Dean. Other people just stop looking for them."

Mary Jane threw her head back, drinking the last drops of the vodka in her coffee cup, sensing the approaching storm.

"Something you want to say to me?" Dean snapped.

"The trail for Dad. It's getting colder every day."

"Exactly. So, what are we supposed to do?"

"I don't know. Something. Anything!" Sam barked.

"You know what?" Dean asked. Mary Jane was sure they all did. "I'm sick of this attitude. You don't think I wanna find Dad as much as you do?"

"Yeah, I know you do, it's just—"

"I'm the one that's been with him every single day for the past two years, while you've been off to college going to pep rallies. We will find Dad, but until then, we're gonna kill everything bad between here and there. Okay?"

Silently, Sam rolled his eyes. Mary Jane looked at them from over the tip of her cup.

"Is the rains over? Can I come out now?" she chuckled, and Dean tossed her a glare, but it was distracted by Wendy walking by. "Oi, she doesn't like you, mate, or haven't you been paying attention."