Nightmare Come True

MAL BIT BACK A SCREAM AS THE BLONDE BEAUTY STEPPED TOWARDS HER. The girl held a wooden basket in the crook of her arm. Inside it was a bundle of flowers and berries and candies alike.

"Here," the girl said with a sweet soft voice. Everything about her- from her twinkling blue eyes and dazzling smile- just radiated goodness. And Mal hated it. "Have a sweet. They simply taste wonderful."

Mal shook her head quickly. "I'd, um, rather not."

"Why ever not?" She batted her eyelashes. "They're so scrumptious!"

She popped one into her mouth while Mal tried to inconspicuously edge away.

"Where are you going?" The smile on the girl seemed a little bit fake this time, a little less warm. "You shouldn't leave without dessert!"

Mal chuckled nervously. "Uh... sorry! I've got to, uh, deliver some cookies to my grandma and stuff. Bye!"

"Bye-bye, then!" The princess called out after her.

As soon as she felt safe, she pressed her back against a stone wall and took a deep and somewhat shaky breath. "Thank Goblins that's over..."

"Over? Not quite yet." The princess's dress was no longer pink and sparkly, it was black as midnight, with shimmering patterns of tormented villains stitched inside it. Her smile was now twisted and cruel, her eyes dark and condescending. "I'm not letting you get away that easily! All villains deserved to be destroyed, ripped to smithereens!"

Talons slid out of her fingernails, glistening and sharp as knives. "Say goodbye!"

Before Mal could even react, she was pounced on by the evil princess. She let out a blood-curdling scream as she felt a thousand gashes open up in her body at once.

Then the scene shifted.

She was in a town square, but it wasn't the one on the Isle, but it looked instead like...

She gasped. She was in Auradon! She drank the sight in- the people walking gracefully in and out of shops, chatting and singing happy tunes as they went along, the clean buildings and roads, the waterfalls and trashes everywhere.

She peered inside one. "Oh, so this is where their leftovers go before they come to the Isle! Interesting."

Everything there smelled wonderful. In fact, even the trash cans smelled good enough to eat.

She basked in the beautiful sunlight and listened to the birds chirping and the constant prattle of people's conversations.

She didn't notice the dark judgy stares and the huddle forming around her until it was too late. She was surrounded.

"Look, it's the evil fairy's daughter! Mel? Meg?"

"It's Mal," she muttered under her breath.

"Aw, look at how scared she looks," a sneering voice said. "The poor little baby."

Mal twitched, feeling a mix of fear, disappointment, and anger well up in her. She felt like crying, running, and punching someone all at the same time. She chose running.

It didn't work. There were too many people there to get through. Rough hands grabbed her by the arms and forced her back into the middle. "I say we kill the witch!"

"Um, excuse me, I am not a witch, thank you very much!" Mal said, struggling against the vice-like grip holding her in place. "Also, no killing. I'd like to stay alive, if you don't mind."