"The Children and The Mysterious Man" (Fable)

Originally written in Grade Eight for a fable assignment, where the ending of the story needed to have a moral.

Long ago, a young girl was walking around her village with her friends. They came across a long, dark, alleyway.

"Let's go and explore!" exclaimed Little Timmy.

Jenny and Tommy (the eldest) agreed. The small group of children ventured into the alleyway together. They came across a sleeping old man.

"Guys, we should go back." said Jenny nervously.

"Yeah! He looks scary!" Little Timmy agreed.

"Aw c'mon! You guys are just chicken!" Ridiculed Tommy.

"Are not! I ain't afraid of no old guy!" Little Timmy whisper- shouted.

Tommy and Little Timmy continued to walk. Tommy turned back to Jenny, who was just standing there.

"Aren't you coming?" he questioned.

Jenny stopped to think. She was getting a bad feeling about the suspicious old man, but she didn't want her friends to think she was scared.

"Yeah I'm coming!" she replied reluctantly.

The nervous children quickly speed-walked past the man, still asleep. Suddenly, the deranged man woke up, and extended his palm, filled with candies.

"Hello children!" he said with a creepy, crooked tooth smile. "Want some candy?"

The children screamed in unison and ran for the alley's exit, the old man following them. Jenny, Tommy, and Little Timmy barely got away.

"Next time, let's trust Jenny's instinct!" said Tommy.

They all agreed. The End.

Moral: Always Trust Your Instinct.