Chapter Five

I was staring in the mirror trying to figure out how to fix my failed bantu knot out. My hair never wanted to co-operate with me.

"Let me help," Senait said excitedly while jumping up and down with a brush, comb and hair tie in her hand.

"Okay," I agreed. I followed her bouncing form into the living room before taking a seat on the carpet as she jumped onto the sofa.

She immediately began brushing and combing my hair. In less than ten minutes, she had already finished giving me a new hairstyle.

"Go look, go look," she shooed me away while making a shooing motion with her hands. Sluggishly getting up, I made my way to the bathroom mirror.

My hair was in a neat half up half down hairstyle with braids incorporated in the front to form a crown. It was beautiful needless to say.

Today my little angel would be turning eight, and as she requested, we weren't going to do anything special.

"How'd you like it?" She asked, bouncing into the bathroom with a large smile on her face.

"It's lovely darling," I smiled at her. Her grey eyes twinkling with happiness.

"Can we go to the park now?" She asked. She had been asking every now and then since the moment I had informed her we would be going.

I knew that she didn't get a long with the children at her school, so I wanted her to be around children who looked her age today. She might even make a friend there.

Mizzy was supposed to be meeting with us there as well since she didn't work on Sundays.

"Yes sweetie. Let me just lock up first." After locking up the doors, we walked to the bus stop. After a couple of minutes, we boarded the bus and soon arrived at our destination.

For some reason, I felt uneasy. The feeling had just come out of nowhere but I wasn't scared. The only things that scared me was my family and my daughter's father, both far away from me at the moment.

"Mizz, Mizz!" Senait yelled, running directly into Mizzy's open arms.

"Happy birthday, Natty!" Mizzy said loudly, spinning Senait around as they giggled. "I bought you chocolate cupcakes."

"Chocolate cupcakes?" I asked with excitement after speeding over to them. It was no secret I had a sweet tooth, especially for chocolate.

Senait and Mizzy giggled at me as I drooled over the taste of yummy cupcakes. It had been quite some time since I last ate cake since I was on a diet and by that I mean, a two week diet.

For me, that's a very long time and suprisingly I lasted.

After Mizzy opened the cupcake box and everyone had their share, the two of us chatted away whilst Senait played on the slides.

After some time passed by, Senait came running to us since she was ready to leave. So we slowly packed our things and made our way to Mizzy's car.

When Mizzy dropped us home, we waved her goodbye as she sped off. As soon as we made it through the door, the house phone immediately began to ring.

Grumbling, I picked it up.

"Good afternoon Ms Asante." I immediately recognized that the voice belonged to my boss.

"Good afternoon, sir," I responded, while wondering what he could be calling about. I gestured for Senait to go into her room with my hands.

"I know you were supposed to be having a few days off, but one of the guests you performed for has requested a private session with you. He is also paying triple the price, so no is not an option."

I sighed. "Yes, sir. I'll be there tomorrow."

Looks like my plans have been cut short.