sixty-six [t]

saturday,
september 22nd, 2018

TRINITY HAYSON

It's around three when my laptop emits a ringing noise and Shawn's contact photo pops up on my screen. I excitedly grin at the sight of the adorable picture that's always been his contact photo before accepting the FaceTime call.

"Hey!" I happily greet as Shawn appears on my screen, a lazy toothy smile adorning his lovely lips. He's sitting up in bed, shirtless and hair a crazy mess. It's about six over there so I assume he's lazing around after practice.

"Hi, baby," he chirps, "I have some news. Some... serious news."

"Oh no," I joke, "Good or bad?"

"Good. I think." His eyebrows furrow for a moment and he averts his eyes from the screen before looking back at the camera with a nervous smile. "I uh— so I kind of— signed a contract."

"The basketball one?" I ask, getting comfortable in my bed. My laptop sits by my blanket covered feet and my college work surrounds me. I am far too lazy to do some work at my desk.

"That's the thing... eh, no. Not the basketball one."

I pout my bottom lip in confusion and meet his gaze through my laptop. I raise an eyebrow and he clears this throat, scratching at the back of his neck.

"Remember when Andrew Gertler called? Before I left for NY?"

At this, I can practically feel my eyes bulge out of my head. I immediately clap my hands with a huge, ecstatic smile.

"Baby!" I squeal happily, dragging my laptop up to my body.

Shawn chuckles, "I met up with him and after a meeting or two, I agreed to read over a contract and sign it. I start writing in the studio next month. What d'you think?"

"Shawn," I breathe, almost speechless, "I think that's... insane. I'm so proud of you. You know, I secretly hoped you'd come to your senses and work on your music. You have a talent that shouldn't go to waste."

It's silent for a minute as Shawn anxiously chews on his lip before braking out into a beautiful grin, "So you're happy about this?" he beams.

"Yes! Of course," I chuckle and Shawn gushes in delight.

"God. I love my girl. I miss you."

My lips instinctively curve into a sad smile and I shake my head, "Just another week and a bit, love. I miss you too."

For a moment, we just sit there, staring lovingly at one another before my smile fades. Fuck, I completely forgot!

"Oh shit," I mutter, frowning.

Shawn wears a puzzled expression, "What is it darling?"

My heart leaps at the nickname that I'm so fond of but I shake it off, "My mom wants me to visit her and my family in Ireland on the 28th until the 2nd. Fuck, I'm really sorry. I forgot to tell you, I should've told you."

Shawn chuckles, seemingly unbothered by our situation and my rambling, "Honey, that's okay. You should go. I'll see you the week after."

I nod with pursed lips before an imaginary lightbulb switches on in my head, "Why don't you come?"

Shawn's dark brows raise high on his forehead and he juts out his lip in thought. His eyebrows descend to a crease and he licks his lips, "You sure?"

"Yeah," I truthfully reply, "I want you to meet my family. I've met yours, and I'm sure mine would be delighted to meet you. The boy that I love so very much."

Shawn's lips immediately curl upwards into a childish smile, "Okay! I'll fly out to you and we'll fly to Ireland together."

I nod in agreement and settle down in bed as we continue to converse over FaceTime. We talk and talk and talk. He makes me laugh and smile a lot, throwing in the odd sarcastic or cheeky remark every now and then. We agree that he'll fly to LA the night of the 27th and we'll catch the flight together the next morning. He tells me how he already discussed his Island record deal with his parents and his coaches. Both pairs were happy for him, but he points out how his coaches were gutted to be losing him as a player. After all, he was one of the best on the team and was passionate about the sport. But that just isn't him anymore.

We end the call a good three hours later and I catch up on college work before showering and cosying up in bed for an early night.

I drift off with a light smile, thrilled that my boyfriend is finally meeting my beloved family.