Rue

I looked into the sky as Panem's anthem played. 

Clove, my first kill, from two.

Max and Andy from four.

Jack from nine.

Logan and Astrid from ten.

This was a surprisingly small amount for the bloodbath. Eighteen Tributes left.

Rue was reading my mind, "That was a small bloodbath," she whispered. 

I nodded. I was about to say something when her eyes widened with fear and she pushed her index finger to her lips. 

Then I heard them too. The careers were right below us. We were hidden, thanks to our size, but one wrong move or noise and they would know we were there. 

Rue flapped her hand to signal me to follow her. What was she doing? She wanted us to move?

Rue knew more than I did about surviving so I followed.

She jumped from our tree, carrying all of the backpacks, and landed silently on the next tree. I followed. I did it, but not silently. The careers heard.

"Hey!" Cato called, bringing the careers below to a halt. "There is someone in the trees above. I think it's the girls from 11 and 12. What a great match. How did a little 12-year old who loves their cat get a 12 in training?"

I silently picked a knife from my pocket and threw it at Cato. It hit him in the chest. He was not dead, but, judging by where I hit him and my medical skills, he will be dead in a few hours, maybe days. 

Suddenly, pretty Glimmer from 1 took the knife from Cato's chest and stabbed it into him again. He screamed. 

Marvel took Glimmer's bow and arrows from the ground and shot several at Glimmer. Glimmer took the knife again and stabbed Marvel. They both fell in a heap on the ground and two cannons sounded. Who was still alive? I looked down as Cato raised his arm and threw a knife up at where we were. 

Rue fell to the ground, knife in her heart.

I threw another knife at Cato and another cannon sounded. It was not Rue. Rue was twitching. She was going to twitch until she died. Which could be minutes away for her small size.

I jumped down to Rue landing with a thud inches away from her dying body. I grasped Rue's hand and started crying. I felt the cold tears splash down my face, and onto Rue's face. She deserved to win. I did not. I do not mean anything to my mother. My mother shut Katniss and me out for months after father died. Rue's mother must care about her.

"Sing," Rue pleaded quietly. 

I nodded and sang the only song I knew. A song our mother had banned us from ever singing. 

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
They strung up a man
They say who murdered three
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where dead man called out
For his love to flee
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run
So we'd both be free
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Wear a necklace of hope
Side by side with me
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where I told you to run
So we'd both be free
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where they strung up a man
They say who murdered three
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

Are you, are you
Coming to the tree
Where dead man called out
For his love to flee
Strange things did happen here
No stranger would it be
If we met at midnight
In the hanging tree

(SONG: CREDIT TO SUZANNE COLLINS)

Rue's eyes closed and a cannon sounded. She was dead. I took the backpacks from her. I knew she would want me to have them. I walked away, wiping my eyes. 

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When Rue died in the book I cried. What did you do?

Please vote and comment!