This Was A Home Once

((Title from... this was a home once by bad suns don't @ me I'm uncreative))

Luke is in surgery for six hours, because they can't figure out what the fuck he is. And he lays on the table, completely covered in flames, for an hour before Michael thinks to march in and drop a bucket of water on him. Which desterilizes the room, so the doctors have to start completely over and scrub everything vigorously, but at least Luke isn't on fire, anymore.

Collectively, Luke is physically operated on for two hours. His left lung was popped, and he'd had several broken bones that need to be reset and covered in plasters to heal. When he's out, he lays in his hospital bed and scowls while requesting the pudding no one is allowed to give him.

Calum hates this. He hates every single part of this, because Luke hasn't told them how he'd gotten back. He'd only been dropped at their door by two guards, who Michael had effectively murdered before Calum could ask any questions. By that point, he was half dead, so he'd only managed to get out "Call the hospital," before he'd passed out completely.

Calum also hates that it's Luke that had been given back. Why not Ashton? He'd been gone longer. He'd been taken first, he should have been returned first. Which, of course, begs the question; why was Luke returned at all?

Luke's laying in bed with his arms crossed over his chest, scowling while Michael continuously offers him various electrolyte infused beverage. Michael shoves a Red Gatorade into his hands, so Luke throws it across the room and croaks out, "yeet."

The bottle rolls to a stop at Calum's feet where he's sitting in the chair. Michael glances at it before turning back to Luke. "You can't just- you yote that bitch! You can't do that, you have to drink it."

"I will yeet what I please," Luke crosses his arms, flinches, and uncrosses them quickly.

Calum glances up from the bottle of Gatorade and looks at Luke again. "Can I ask something?"

"No," Michael replies. "Look at him, he almost died. Leave him alone. Besides, he's cranky."

Luke huffs. "Have you never seen a movie with, like, a hospital scene? They always get pudding, and now I'm in the hospital, so where is my pudding? Where the fuck is my fucking pudding? I almost died, yeah, you're right, I did almost die, I should get- no, listen, I deserve the luxury of a fucking pudding packet. Do you know when the last time I ate was?"

Calum stays quiet, because he does make a point. Luke had been kidnapped for weeks, and he has no idea how bad the conditions were in that place. Judging by the videos he was shown on that rock guards phone, they weren't great. Ashton looked starved.

"Actually," Luke looks at the clock hanging about the closed door and starts counting off on his fingers. "Alright, honestly? Like nine hours ago, but that is absolutely not the point. I became a mutant, and I didn't get the healing property. I got a burning body, and a really freaky, deep connection with Ashton, but I didn't get anything else! I deserve-"

"Wait, What?" Calum cuts him off. "You what?"

"Want pudding!" Luke finishes. "It's in all the movies!"

"This isn't a movie, it's a book," Michael chimes in. "Not even. It's virtual."

Luke gives him a concerned glance before looking back at Calum, who holds a hand up like he's trying to get them both to shut up. "I could not have been more clearly not giving a fuck about your dietary needs. Also, it's jello in a plastic cup, and you can't fucking have that because your stomach was lacerated because you don't know how to get beat up."

"Wha-" Luke manages to get out.

Michael makes a sort of rolling motion by tucking his arms into his chest, hands over his head, and bringing up one knee. "It's a tuck and roll thing. You have to protect your guts."