[Chapter 4]: Bedhead

"WHAAAAAAAAT?!"
     Huh. Not exactly the warm welcome I was hoping for.
     Today was the day, 15-years-old and full of endless aspirations, that I joined Class 1-A.
It was just this morning that I was gaping up in awe at the intimidating sight of U.A. High looming powerfully above me. The glass had reflected the morning sun across the entire campus, effectively bathing the already blindingly bright school and everyone that attended in gold... Making me feel even more unsubstantial and nervous than I already did.
     Most bypassing students hadn't recognized me as I was openly gawking at he grandeur of the building before me, but those that had nearly lost their eyes because they were bulging so hard. Some basically fainted on the spot!
     I sighed irritably at the memory of multiple students parting around me like the tide as they tried to subtly flee from the very place I stood—they avoided me like I was the plague itself. This was going to be a long day.
A pang of annoyance stabbed through my blood like a shot of ice as I thought about how much easier it would've been if I could have taken the entrance exam like everyone else. Or if I could have started at the same time as everyone else, for that matter!
     Unfortunately, my circumstances were not such and I had gotten in on recommendation—an honour, truly... if it wasn't Aizawa who had vouched for me. Then, of course, there was the matter of my acceptance into the school only being so that the authorities could be assured I was under constant surveillance.
     Not only that, but I was stuck going through endless screenings to ensure the students as well as everyone else's safety wasn't at risk due to me enrolling. It was because of this that I was forced to begin school two weeks late.
And it was no secret who I was.
Though the majority of the student body was originally in the dark, those that had had even the slightest inkling about who I was immediately began to talk. In no time at all, there were countless rumours about me fluttering about the school, passed from person to person in an unbreakable cycle. By the end of the day, I suspected every single person in the building would have a vague and utterly blown out of proportion idea of my identity as well as my past...behaviours.
     Aizawa cleared his throat to gain the rowdy class's attention before making a lazy gesture in my general direction. "This is (Y/N). Today she will officially be joining Class 1-A and attending regular classes with all of you." He glanced over reassuringly. "I expect all of you to make her feel welcome."
     From the back, I noticed a spunky-looking girl with wild curls and exotic pink skin begin to frantically wave her hand. She was practically bouncing in her seat, mouthing "me, me, me!"
     I stifled a giggle at her quirky attitude. I think I'm going to like this place.
     Aizawa sighed with evident irritation, but I knew better. He spoke of his class in such a high regard all of the time over the course of the past two weeks and I could tell that he secretly really enjoyed their upbeat energy.
     All of them showed promise and potential—they had to in order to make it into Class 1-A—but they were all so uniquely them. Even just by looking at them, I could see it. Each person radiated their own individual personalities, demeanours, and quirks—and if I focused hard enough, I could begin to make out the hues of their auras.
     It was a skill I had acquired over the years I have been living and training with Aizawa—how to see the souls of the living just as well as the dead. Fondness for the tired, eccentric man tugged at my heartstrings as I thought about our many memories together. He became more than just my saviour—he became my dad. After the incident back when I was eleven, he had taken me into his care to avoid any charges being pressed against me. As long as he agreed to take me into his custody, the courts were willing to be sympathetic to my case.
     Thus, here I am. Living my life freely, out of the reach of villains. The man I once knew as my father has never contacted me since and I know that Aizawa will never let him get to me again.
     I snapped back to the present once Aizawa caved and finally called upon the interesting girl. "Yes, Mina?"
     Her posture instantly relaxed as she settled back into her seat and she instead began drumming her fingers excitedly against the desktop. "(Y/N), that's a really pretty name, but don't you have a last name too?"
     This wasn't a question I was expecting to have asked. It hadn't even crossed my mind that someone may be curious as to why I only introduced myself by my first name oppose to the standard last name procedure that was considered polite in Japan.
     "I don't have a last name," I stated flatly.
     A few heads tilted at my blunt reply, but no one pressed the issue. I briefly took note that Mina's loud orange aura became much less startling as she calmed down.
     Another hand raised. "Welcome! I'm glad to see another promising face join our class!" He shouted enthusiastically. "But if I may ask, why are you joining only now? Why not start at the same time as the rest of us?"
     "Technicalities," Aizawa answered flippantly. "Anyone else?"
     The tall, bespectacled boy sat back down in his seat, appearing to be even more suspicious  than he was before. However, he possessed a soft turquoise aura that instantly calmed me down upon seeing it. I'd have to ask him his name later...
     "Yeah, I've got one... WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!" A brash voice piped up. "I didn't see you in the entrance exam and if I had, I'm sure I would've kicked your ass!"
This caught my attention.
Languidly, my gaze travelled across the sea of teenagers to the spiky blonde hedgehog sitting with his feet propped up on the desk in the middle of the classroom. His chair was kicked back and his hands were stuffed carelessly in his trouser pockets.
Most notable, however, was the blazing crimson aura as piercing as his very eyes that surrounded him. It immediately conveyed the sense that he was explosive and violent, but I was less than intimidated. Instead of cowering back from his obnoxious voice and being frightened as most of the other students appeared to be, I chuckled heartily.
"Actually, I got in on recommendation. I'd still be more than happy to test that theory of yours if you'd like." I said coyly. "Though, I should warn you—it'll come at the price of your soul... Don't blame me when you have to pick up the pieces of your shattered pride."
Many of my new peers recoiled at my words, paling in both shock and disbelief. I stood, still smiling at the blonde. There was no way I could just let him shove me around, not someone like him who used his power to intimidate others...
Suddenly his chair clattered to the ground as he jolted to his feet. His palms were sparking with mini explosions and his face was twisted into an ugly sneer. What an interesting quirk.
"YOU DAMNED EXTRA! HOW DARE YOU—?!"
Aizawa was just about to step in when I causally strode up to the fuming boy. I grinned. "You should really learn how to control that temper of yours, Sparky, it'll only bring you misfortune." I said, somewhat wistfully. "Believe me, I know."
With that, I tapped him gently on the forehead before he could react to stop me and his body fell heavily like a rock. A collective gasp resounded through the class, but I payed it no mind as I took my place back up at the front.
Hopefully, this won't ruin my chances of a friendship with him or the others, I thought idly. He reminds me a lot of myself.
"What did you do?!" An awed voice yelped. It was attached to a girl with purple hair and earphone jacks. On her actual ears. Huh.
I shrugged in response to her question. "Exactly what I said. I took his soul."
Horrified whispers were immediately shushed at my proclamation. Everyone was staring at me now, wide-eyed and expecting an explanation.
"Don't worry," I added. "I'll return it to him once we're done with questions."
That was another skill I had added to my arsenal: detaching the souls of the living from their hosts. I couldn't keep them for long and it caused a massive strain on my mind, but I felt that it was worth displaying for the sake of asserting my dominance over this infuriating male.
Silence.
Just as I began to fidget under their stunned gazes, a boy sitting directly to the left of the blonde bursted to life. "THAT WAS SO MANLY, (Y/N)!"
"Kirishima, for the love of God, sit down. Don't encourage her." Aizawa stated irritably. "Alright, now that you've been introduced, go take your seat." He shook his head at my antics and pointed at a chair in the back closest to the window. "And while you're at it, give Bakugou his soul back, would you?"
     I silently thanked him and made my way to the back of the class, furthest out of the reach of prying eyes. As I passed by Sparky, I knelt down to place my palm on his chest. He sucked in a deep breath, eyes flying wide as I practically resurrected him from the dead.
Bakugou was panting heavily, seemingly confused whilst he rapidly blinked himself back to life. Suddenly, he flew upward into a sitting position, palms ablaze and frantically scanning his surroundings.
   A boy with a black lightning bolt streak in his golden hair, screamed in a very girly fashion upon witnessing the sudden reappearance of life that I had bestowed on his friend.
"ZOMBIE!" He squealed only to be smacked harshly on the back of the head by a now shouting Bakugou.
I had already slipped away from the scene and was sitting down in my chair. My thoughts had just begun to wander as I stared out into the vast campus of U.A. when a timid voice spoke up in front of me.
     "Hi! (Y/N), was it? I'm Midoriya, but I don't mind if you'd prefer to call me Izuku since we'll all be calling you by your first name too." The boy's unruly green hair and array of freckles were suddenly complimented by his rapidly reddening face. He was blushing, seemingly embarrassed by his own bold statement. "Um, I mean, only if you want to!" His hands were now flailing in front of him and he began rambling nonsense. "Gosh, I shouldn't have presumed—wow, that was way too forward, I can't believe I did that, but it only seemed polite—logical even!—to extend the same courtesy—!"
     "Izuku." I laughed. "Yes, that's perfect. Thank you for being so friendly... I wasn't sure if I was going to receive much of that." I muttered the last part.
     My newfound companion tilted his head curiously. "Why wouldn't you? I know that U.A. is pretty competitive, but everyone here  has been really nice! Well, maybe not Kacchan, but..." He trailed off, glancing shakily in the other boy's direction. Bakugou was already glaring.
Izuku yelped and turned his attention back to me, stuttering, "B-But I'm sure everyone will accept you quickly! You're here for the same reason as all of us: to become a hero!"
     His words took me by surprise. No one aside from Aizawa had ever seen my quirk before and still told me that I had the potential to become a hero. The simple sentiment settled into my heart, warming me from the inside out. Izuku was right—I was here. And I was going to become a Pro.
"So..." He began shyly, breaking me from my newly discovered vigour. "What's your quirk? That was really cool—and more than a little terrifying—what you did to Bakugou. Did you really take his soul?"
I blinked owlishly. "Yes."
His eyes sparkled with curiosity and excitement, a drastic change compared to his previously cautious demeanour. "Oh my gosh, that's so cool! Do you mind if I ask you some questions about it?" Izuku exclaimed like a fanboy. He had already began furiously scribbling in a beaten up notebook that he had just miraculously produced from out of nowhere.
Before I could open my mouth, a rough voice cleared their throat.
     "Hey, just because you're new here doesn't mean you'll get special treatment. Eyes forward." Aizawa grumbled.
     I rolled my eyes. None of the students knew that Aizawa was my caretaker, so I really didn't expect him to treat me any differently lest he expose my secret. I wouldn't expect him to treat me any differently even if everyone did already know—that's just how he was.
Izuku squeaked, his already large eyes rounding and he immediately began spewing apologies as he returned to facing the front.
A small smile danced at the corners of my lips, content with the path I could see beginning to sprawl out in front of me.
Yes, I thought. I definitely think I'll like it here.
The rest of the day flew by in a flurry of boring lectures and excitable students bouncing up to introduce themselves. Izuku's friends, Ochaco and Tenya (the boy from earlier whose name I wanted to get), even invited me to sit and have lunch with them.
They were all so kind, it nearly took my breath away. I frowned slightly, disappointed that I had been so evasive with their questions when they were being so accepting of me even after the little scene I had made at the start of class.
Despite that, upon the arrival of the day's end, I couldn't stop smiling goofily from ear to ear. I was giddy, high on euphoria and the knowledge that I had already acquired friends. I had never had a friend before...
I couldn't be happier.
That was until the series of unfortunate mishaps and bad luck that encompassed my life decided to step in. With my head in the clouds and too many books stacked precariously in my line of vision, I hadn't seen the group of students stalking towards me. All of which I had never met before.
Insulting whispers and taunts were thrown my was as they approached. One of them, a blonde boy with a slightly deranged smile plastered on his face, roughly slammed his shoulder into mine. The books slipped from my grasp, scattering across the tile floor.
"I can't believe that Class 1-A has sunk so low that they allowed a villain in." The entire group snickered at the remark thrown over the boy's shoulder and sauntered away.
Mood efficiently dampened, I crouched down to collect my things that were currently in disarray. Just as I was almost done, a pair of black sneakers halted directly in front of me. My eyes travelled upwards until I reached the face attached to the feet.
A male with messy lavender hair that fluffed up every which way and sleepy purple eyes stood before me. There was a permanent scowl on his face as he peered down his nose at everything on the floor.
"You should really watch where you're going," He said callously.
My eyes narrowed dangerously. "Suck my dick, Bedhead."