[Chapter 15]: Deny It

"Do you want to come over on Sunday?"
     Those few words had my mind reeling.
     Friday, two days ago to be exact, while Hitoshi and I were hanging out after school was when he decided to pop that question. To most, it wouldn't be a big deal at all—just two friends spending time with each other, maybe doing nothing more than studying at the dining room table.
     To me, it was entirely different.
     Not once had Hitoshi ever been to my home, he didn't even know that I lived with the allusive underground hero, Eraserhead. I had certainly never been to his house. We were perfectly content spending everyday after school in each other's company for a few hours before heading our separate ways.
     This was something different, something bigger—I'd be meeting his family. The thought alone made me sweat.
     "It's the last day before our internships," he confessed nonchalantly. "Then you're not going to see me for a week. I figured you could come over, so that I could grace you with my presence for longer than a dinner date."
     That last comment had me spewing strawberry milk from my nose like the pitiful disgrace that I was. Hitoshi laughed so hard that he had to clutch at his stomach as tears began leaking from the corners of his eyes. If the circumstances had been different, I would've been beaming at the fact that I was the one to make him look that happy.
     However, they weren't, and his outburst had earned him my fist connected to his shoulder.
     "Ow!" He chuckled, then hastily reiterated his previous statement. "I just meant that it would be nice to hangout without a time frame."
     "Yeah, yeah. Whatever, Bedhead."
     And that's how I found myself in this mess. Literally.
     It was Sunday afternoon and I was supposed to be at his house for one. Clothes were scattered about my room in uneven piles—it looked as if Barbie just threw up on my floor.
     I glared at myself in the full-length mirror. I had never been an outrageously self-conscious person. In fact, I was quite confident. But for some reason, the prospect of meeting Hitoshi's family had everything I tried on ill-fitting and tacky.
Sighing, I revisited my closet for a new outfit. I don't know what I expected to happen. Something suitable to majestically appear? I had already searched every nook and cranny for just that, torn my closet apart. Nothing.
Growing frustrated, I threw on what I usually wore when I wasn't at school—ripped skinny jeans and a baggy (FAV/BAND) t-shirt. Hitoshi would probably find it strange if I was fancier today anyways. Whenever we decide to hangout on weekends, I'm always in leggings and a hoodie. This could at least be considered a step up.
I left my (H/C) hair loose and natural and applied my typical makeup before lacing up my combat boots. Then, I proceeded to check myself out in the mirror. Perfect.
"Hey, Dadzawa!"
"What?" He called back lazily.
     Might as well have some fun.
  I snickered. "I'm going over to a boy's house today! Probably won't be back until late—"
There was the sound of a door opening and then some shuffling. A muffled curse as he ran into something—presumably the table. Finally, Aizawa came hopping into my room with his sleeping bag still wrapped tightly around his body. Yes, even at home, him and that bizarre atrocity were inseparable.
"You haven't mentioned any boys." He narrowed his eyes suspiciously.
I laughed. "Well, no, why would I? He's one of my friends. Actually, he's in Class 1-C."
     "Will his parents be home?"
     "Yes—"
     "Does he live very far?"
     "No, it should be fine—"
     "You won't be walking alone in the dark?"
     "No—"
     "Do you still have that pepper spray I got you?"
     I deadpanned. "Seriously? You seriously think that I'll need pepper spray?"
     He gave me a look. Sighing, I reached into my small nap sack and produced the item in question with a matter-of-fact expression. "Yes, alright? Is that it? Could you stop grilling me now?" I chuckled.
     "Don't be afraid to use it." He grumbled agitatedly.
     I rolled my eyes at his protective nature, but smiled nonetheless. Puffing out my chest proudly, I said, "I've already knocked him on his ass before. I can definitely do it again, so I really don't think that I'll need this." I waved the can in my hand jokingly before stuffing it back in the bag to give him peace of mind.
     A sly grin cracked across his face and he ruffled my hair. "That's my girl."
     Laughing along with him, I shoved his hand away and gave him a hug. "I'll see you later."
     He nodded, back to his usual unruffled demeanour.
     "Oh! And do make sure to eat something other than ramen today, please." I mocked sarcastically.
     "No promises." He flopped back to the floor and curled into a ball. Somehow, he was hiding a feeding pack in that yellow cocoon of his and decided that now was the perfect time to start eating it.
     The slurping noises followed me all the way to the door where I made sure to wave and click the lock on the way out. Shaking my head to myself, I smiled. I really am lucky.
     "I should probably tell Hitoshi that I'm on my way." I muttered under my breath.
     Doing just that, I tapped out a quick text.
     Twenty minutes later, I was approaching the Shinsou residence with shaking legs and sweat beading my brow. I was five minutes late because I just had to stop to play with a few of the stray cats roaming around the area. There were so many! And they were all mewling at me! How could I not...? I bowed my head. I am weak to fluffy beings.
     Mustering the courage to ring the bell, I stepped back and awaited an answer. I hurriedly fixed my outfit and wiped my brow until I felt satisfied with my appearance.
     Then the door opened. My heart leapt into my throat, already stammering out incoherent words and sweating again. Oh god.
     Before me stood a tall, beautiful woman with messy lilac locks pulled high into a bun atop her head. She had gentle eyes the same colour as Toshi's, but they were glazed over with bewilderment.
     "Hello. My name is Shinsou Mihoko. How may I help you, dear?"
     Clearing my throat, I regained my confidence. "Hello, Mrs. Shinsou. I'm actually here to see Hitoshi..."
     Upon declaring my intentions, the woman's eyes widened. I was taken aback by how quickly her aura shifted. Before it was a gentle coral colour, but now it was positively fuchsia, thrumming with excitable energy.
     "You're his friend?" She squealed. "And you're a girl! Oh my gosh!"
     My own eyes widened as she turned back to the house and called, "HAJIME! IT'S A GIRL!"
     A gruff voice responded, much calmer and much less interested, from somewhere inside of the house, "I heard. So did the entire neighbourhood."
     That dry tone and snarky quip could only mean one thing: Hajime was Hitoshi's father.
     Still standing awkwardly on the front porch, I shifted with a lopsided grin. "Uh, yeah. I am, thanks for noticing."
     "Oh dear!" Her head snapped back to me with eyes that glittered so bright they could put the stars to shame. "I'm so sorry! Please, come in."
     Once she moved away from the doorway, I walked inside and looked around. It was spacious and modern, nothing like I expected. For some reason, I thought Hitoshi's house would be more...quaint?
     Turning back around to offer a genuine, more relaxed smile, I said, "It's very nice to meet you, Mrs. Shinsou. My name's (Y/N)."
     The next thing I knew, I was being crushed into the tightest hug of my life. "Oh, please! Call me Mihoko, you're practically family!"
     A bright blush bloomed across my face.
     She continued, "Anyone that can put up with my Hitoshi must be a wonderful soul! I love you already."
     "Mom," an exasperated voice reprimanded from behind me. "You're going to kill her."
     Mihoko gasped in surprise. "Oh, excuse me." She released my limp form and it took everything I had not to keel over from oxygen deprivation. "I'm just so excited!"
     "It's not an issue," I rasped.
     Hitoshi gently placed a hand on my back and I turned to meet his eyes. Those deep purple hues were dancing with amusement.
     Laugh it up, I thought bitterly. Make a mockery of my suffering.
     "I told you that I was having someone over today. Why are you so... bouncy?"
     He was right. Mihoko was glowing, fidgeting with pent up energy. She was practically floating.
     "Well, I know, but you never mentioned that your friend was a girl—OH MY GOD!"
     I jumped and Hitoshi steadied me with the hand that was still on my back.
     "Is that—is that Hitoshi's sweater?"
     I stiffened. Oh, shit.
     Sure enough, I was donning the sweater that Hitoshi had given to me all that time ago. It was cold outside, so I grabbed it without thinking. It had sort of become my go to.
     A squeal so piercing that I nearly covered my ears emanated from Hitoshi's mother.
"HAJIME! HITOSHI HAS A GIRLFRIEND!" She glanced back to me, grinning from ear to ear. "AND SHE'S CUTE!"
     I heard what sounded to be the page of a newspaper turning from the next room over.
     "That's nice, Mi."
     "Mom!" I had never seen Hitoshi look so flustered. "Really?!"
     She was already fluttering away. There was no stopping this now. "I'm going to go make a special dinner to celebrate!"
     I heard her murmur what I thought to be "I can't believe he found a girlfriend!" and turned slowly to Hitoshi. He was stubbornly staring in the opposite direction, but I could still see that he was beat red.
     Smirking, I poked his cheek. "Aww, I see. You're embarrassed."
     He stiffly began to ascend the stairs. "Not a word."
     Stifling my giggles, I followed closely behind. I'm never going to let him live this down.
"Don't get her pregnant." The deep voice that I knew belonged to Hajime Shinsou called up the stairs.
I choked on my own saliva.
Hitoshi tripped on the last step.
Mihoko cackled maniacally in the kitchen.
    What in the world have I gotten myself into?
Suddenly, I was being ushered into a small room with nearly zero light streaming through the shuttered windows. The door slammed and I heard a long, exasperated sigh.
"I'd say that they're not usually like this," he muttered. "But they are."
I smiled softly. "I like them. You're lucky to have such a bubbly mom."
He rolled his eyes. "She can be a bit eccentric... but I still love her."
I gasped, hand flying to my mouth. "The great Hitoshi... showing emotion?! Say it ain't so!"
A harsh flick to my forehead had me shutting my mouth and whining instead.
After he shut me up, he went to the large window across the room and threw open the curtains. Once the room was lit up, it was actually quite nice. Bed in the corner, nightstand, cat keepsakes lining the dresser, and plenty of books on the shelves. It was tidy and relatively empty given the size, but I would expect nothing less of Shinshi. He wasn't one for materialistic belongings.
There was a desk with a reading lamp against the wall adjacent to the door, so I approached and sat in the chair tucked under it. Set neatly beside the reading lamp was a tiny picture frame with what appeared to be a small Hitoshi on the shoulders of his dad and his mom staring lovingly at the both of them from behind. His dad was taking the picture with a lazy smile.
I squealed enthusiastically. "You were adorable!" I carefully picked up the photo and pointed out the small, giggling boy with tufts of purple hair. "What happened?"
Toshi rolled his eyes. "I got sexy. That's what."
I nearly fell off the chair, I was laughing so hard. Wiping a tear from my eye, I said, "I'm totally getting your mom to show me all of your baby pictures."
"You wouldn't."
I wiggled my eyebrows. "Oh. But I would."
Hitoshi's arms snaked around my body to rest on the back of the swivel chair, caging me in. He pulled the chair closer to himself until our breaths began to mingle between us. This close together, I could see the flecks of indigo rimming the pupils of his eyes and the thick lashes that fringed them.
"Then I guess I'm gonna have to make sure that you don't." He purred.
My face heated up uncontrollably and I glanced shyly away.
     It was always like this between us: teasing, witty banter, fleeting flirtatious touches. The dance between friendship and something more was one we knew all too well, teetering precariously from one side to the other as we waltzed the fine line.
Were we truly friends anymore? Or had we finally crossed the boundary into an unknown territory? The line was getting a bit too blurred now for me to keep up.
One thing I knew for sure is that when his mom inquired about the intimacy of our relationship...
He didn't deny it.