[Chapter 6]: You Can't

That night, I arrived home late. Aizawa was already waiting in the kitchen with boxes of Chinese takeout littering the counter.
"You got lost, didn't you?" He deadpanned.
I huffed, tossing my bag to the side before plopping into my seat at the dining room table. The homework I had already accumulated slid from my arms onto the pristinely cleaned floor.
Aizawa quirked his brow.
I sighed dramatically, quickly scrambling to shuffle my papers back into place and set them neatly atop the table. Despite the apartment's size and Aizawa's lazy tendencies, it was always perfectly polished. There were only a few rooms and it was scarcely furnished, but what little we had was still nice—the furniture was modern, the plants I had begged Aizawa to buy were a rich hue of green, and the walls were painted a royal purple (courtesy of my young self).
It was significantly smaller than every lavish hideout I had ever been in... But this was home. I'd trade in the materialistic luxuries I used to have for this cheap, crammed apartment and Chinese takeout any day.
"You'll be doing all of that tonight," Aizawa nodded pointedly at my stack of papers as he handed me my share of the food. "I may be your caretaker, but I am still your teacher."
A loud groan left my lips as I stuffed my face with lemon chicken. "Really? All of it?"
He gave me a withering look.
I laughed heartily. "Kidding, kidding. Jeez, you're always so serious, Dadzawa."
     At that, he rolled his eyes.
The nickname was one I had gifted him not too long after he had initially taken me in. Though the adoption papers had never been officially legalized, it was an unsaid agreement between us that I was now his daughter and he was now my dad.
The first time I had ever called him that, he choked on his feeding pack and nearly got himself stuck inside of his sleeping bag. I chuckled fondly at the memory.
After dinner and cleaning the dishes, I packed up my school stuff and began heading to my room to work.
"Wait," he called after me.
I turned around to be met with the proud, fatherly gaze of Aizawa. I blinked, unsure of what to do—even after the four years I have been living with him, I still wasn't used to the paternal affection he always subtly displayed.
"You forgot your pencil."
I smiled gratefully at him and reached out to retrieve it from his grasp. "Thanks, Dadzawa. I'll see you in the morning, okay? Goodnight."
With a small wave of his hand, he placed a kiss to the top of my head and turned to walk away. "Goodnight."
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     Getting to school the next day was a lot easier than the first. The walk wasn't as stressful and my nerves weren't quite as jittery.
The scenery was still beautiful and the grandeur of the school was just as intimidating, but I had already come to terms with the fact that I would probably never get used to it.
     One thing that I could've done without were the suspicious gazes of my peers loitering around campus. I heard snickers as I passed them by, a few of them even pointed in my direction, but I payed them no mind.
     Today was going to be a good day. I could feel it.
Ignoring the unnecessary attention my mere presence had captured, I proceeded to enter the bustling halls of U.A. with high hopes that I'd be able to find my class. After noting a few signs labelling other classes that were certainly not mine, I stumbled across one with a familiar name above the door.
General Department.
Out of sheer curiosity, I poked my head around the doorframe and peered inside in search of a familiar head of unruly, lavender hair. There were a few students conversing in groups, all seemingly buzzing with excitement.
I wonder what's going on. I pondered, lost in thought as I continued to glance around the class.
"Miss me already?" A cocky voice teased.
I jumped in surprise, spinning around to find none other than Shinsou standing uncomfortably close. He smirked at my wide-eyed expression, but made no move to exit my personal bubble.
Clearing my throat, I began to speak, "Yes, of course. How could I ever resist your glittering personality?" Every word that fell from my lips was dripping with sarcasm.
"You're the one standing outside of my classroom."
I tsked, silently cursing my curiosity. "I was just looking around. Figured I should get to know my way around the school."
He stared at me for a moment. Purple eyes drilling into (y/e/c).
The violet hue darkened, swimming with various emotions and thoughts, but I couldn't decipher any of it. It was a jumbled mess behind those eyes, and I wanted nothing more than to peel away his layers and figure out what was hiding underneath.
Just about to voice my question, he abruptly snapped out of it, the mysteries and depths of his eyes hardening into flat, lavender pools. I huffed.
"You have no idea where you are, do you?" He asked with a mocking tone. "I suppose my glittering personality can be a bit distracting, so I'll do you the favour of showing you to your class."
An indignant scoff slipped out of my mouth before I could stop it. "How kind, I'm absolutely honoured. Who says chivalry is dead?"
Shinsou chuckled, quickly encircling my wrist with his slender fingers. I tensed. Then he gently began tugging me away.
     My mind blanked.
     Before I knew it, I was reeling, completely unprepared for the physical contact. Neither one of us had the time to conceive what was happening before his body hit the floor with his wrist pinned between his shoulder blades and my knee digging into his spine.
     Horrified gasps and shrieks echoed around the hallway and it took me a moment to process what was happening.
Realizing what I was doing, I swiftly released him. "Oh! I'm—I didn't—sorry..."
     Shinsou blinked, still face first on the floor. "Could be worse, I guess," he shot me a toothy grin. "At least I have a pretty girl sitting on me."
     My reaction was instant, the blood in my face rushing up until it was red as a cherry. I hastily stumbled off of Shinsou's back and brushed off my skirt, vigorously avoiding eye contact.
     "Haha. Very funny." I retorted snippily. "Enjoy it while you can because it'll never happen again."
     Not bothering to reply, Shinsou pushed himself up off the ground and stretched his sore limbs. He flexed his fingers, appearing to be contemplating something. 
     "Are you okay?" I asked anxiously. I didn't want to hurt him...
     His eyes finally swivelled to meet mine, but they held no fear. "Yeah, barely felt it." He said dryly. "Where'd you learn something like that?"
     Everything in me shut down, instantly transferring over to autopilot. I couldn't tell him the truth, so I'd have to improvise—thankfully, nobody has ever been able to see through my poker face.
     "I am in the Hero Course," I said tersely. "I'm not just a pretty face, I do know a thing or two."
     Shinsou looked me over, analyzing me. But I remained perfectly still—I gave nothing away.
     After a few tense seconds, he offered an indifferent shrug and returned to face the direction he was heading in before. "Come on," he ushered. "Let's get you to class."
     I followed behind, head bowed. The chorus of whispers that had picked up the instant I pinned Shinsou only got louder as I descended the halls—the weight of their gazes on my back was crippling.
     He didn't speak to me the rest of the way. By that point, I thought for sure I had blown any chance I had at becoming friends with him.
     Until we made it to the door of my class.
     I was just about to hurry in when Shinsou cleared his throat. "So why'd you do it?"
     Of course, I knew exactly what he was referring to. The air was charged between us, crackling with tension, but I held my ground.
     "Instinct," I replied bluntly.
     "Instinct." He repeated idly.
     Before either of us had the chance to say anything more, the bell rang, signalling the start of school. Without another word, Shinsou turned on his heel and stalked off to class.
     I sighed, taking in a shaky breath, and moved to open the doors with thoughts of Shinsou clouding my mind.
     Upon entering the notorious Class 1-A, I was assaulted by the boisterous chatter of the girls I knew to be Mina and Tsuyu.
     "(Y/N)! I'm so glad you're here!" Mina squealed. "Did you hear?"
     My eyebrows furrowed, puzzled by her cryptic question. "Hear what?"
     "About the Sports Festival!" Tsuyu chimed in with her adorable froggy voice. "We're going to begin training today."
An awkward smile placed itself on my lips. "Uh... what's that?"
"WHAAAAAAAAT?!"
     I winced slightly at the noise. Damn, is it gonna be like this every time I walk through these doors?
     "You don't know what the Sports Festival is?" Izuku had made his way over to me in the commotion and was now staring at me like I was some foreign creature.
     I tentatively shook my head.
     "It's an annual event held by U.A. where students from all grades and courses have the opportunity to showcase their abilities in different competitions." The deep monotone voice of Todoroki piped up from the back of the class. He was sitting with impeccable posture and a perfectly placid expression. "The goal is to be scouted by Pro Heroes."
So that's what all the fuss has been about this morning...
     After observing the strange boy for a few seconds more, I turned back around to be met with the bored eyes of Aizawa staring directly into my soul. I clutched the cool plastic of my textbooks tighter to my chest. Why is everyone sneaking up on me today?!
     "Very good, Todoroki," Aizawa stated. "Yes, the Sports Festival is approaching quickly—"
     The excited cheers of his students cut off his words.
     "—so you better be prepared for me to work you to the bone."
     It was almost comical how quickly everyone's elation deflated from their bodies in place of a loud, synchronized groan.
     "Alright. Go get your gym uniforms, it's time to train."
     Everyone snapped back to life in an instant and began rushing out of the room in a flurry of hyper chatter and flying limbs. I was just getting up to follow when a firm hand was placed on my shoulder.
     Solemn eyes were staring into mine. "(Y/N), wait."
     I tried to remain casual, but I couldn't help the feeling of dread that began to pool in my stomach. "Yes? What's wrong?"
     Aizawa sighed deeply. "I'm sorry... but you can't be apart of the Sports Festival."