54. After Noon

As hinted in the last chapter, the cryptogram is meant to be conjoined with the one in this, and the next chapter. (I'll just tell you it's a neat little reference, given what happens. ;P) Now, this chapter is supposed to be... a bit disturbing. So just be warned.

Chapter 54: After Noon

Madotsuki's Room; 10 years ago

The night before Madotsuki's 3rd birthday. She was a very small child who slept on a small bed, and had small toys in her room. Her parents left the window open that night. It was rather windy out, the trees rustled in an eerie fashion. Madotsuki hid deep under the covers. Clamp...clamp... The breeze was making her closet door bang against the arch, open, close, open, close... In the brief moments she could look through the gap, she could see a dark, indigo cloak breezing. She didn't know what was inside that dark, spooky closet, but she was afraid to go over and shut the door, for a monster might ambush her.

When the door was about to clamp again, it stopped. It stopped as though something grabbed it from the other side. Madotsuki climbed out of the blanket and set her little socked feet on the floor. Walking past all her toys, she approached the door and opened it.

A cloak as dark blue as the night hung in the closet, probably put their by her parents because they didn't have room in their closet. There were blue pointed shoes that were too big for young Mado, and a hat with a purplish-red stripe hung above the robe, two jingle bells on its side. There were two yellow lights seen between the robe and the hat. When Madotsuki looked closer, they looked like... eyes. There were also gloves hanging by the cloak, but they were attached to nothing.

"That was getting on my nerves." A British voice said. The clothes did seem to make an invisible body. And it was staring at her. And speaking. "You should return to bed."

Madotsuki turned around. She felt a force—the floating glove—gently nudge her back to her bed. Madotsuki climbed in. The gloves pulled the blanket over her. "I do not like the wind." The clothes reached over and shut the window. The wind outside became faint and less eerie. The clothes returned to the closet and shut their selves inside.

The next morning, Madotsuki opened her closet. Those same clothes were still hanging there, but they had no eyes and showed no conscience. Madotsuki went off to enjoy her birthday. Last night was probably only a dream. But she wished to have that dream again.

That night, Madotsuki opened her closet again. The clothes still hung... and the yellow eyes were present. "Do you need somebody to tuck you in?"

"Why ah you in dere?..." The child spoke adorably.

"Mmm... no idea. I guess you thought I was in here... so I am."

"Am I dweaming?"

"Hmm... no idea."

"What's your name?"

"...I guess I don't have one."

"You're dark..."

"Is that the name you give me?"

Mado shook her head shyly. "What do you wanna name?"

"It isn't customary for someone other than the creator to name her creation."

Mado stood confusedly. She didn't know many words, being so young. "...Though the name 'Thaddeus' does have a ring to it."

"Daddy-us?"

"Y-...Yes." He would blush if he had cheeks. "I'll be... Thaddeus Dark. You can call me 'Dark-san.'"

"Dark...-san."