Have I Unlocked the Tragic Backstory?

Kaelie hid her shock at Jace's revelation well, fighting to keep her face composed. It wasn't the fact that Jace had an ex-boyfriend that was really freaking her out, because she couldn't see anything wrong with that, it was more that he hadn't told her yet. And Ben, he found Ben, of all people, had found one of them without even trying.

They'd been grieving his death for years, and yet he was alive the whole time, and didn't even bother trying to find them. They were supposed to be like family. He ran when Theo took her, didn't try to help Michael and Sarah and Lilith fight their way out. He left them all there, and they would have died for him. She could feel her shock dissolving to anger at Ben, and she could feel some ugly emotion rearing its head in the twisted depths of her heart at the thought of him knowing Jace. Kaelie rolled her eyes inwardly at herself, it wasn't like Jace belonged to her, he didn't.

"We need to go. You're coming with us Ben," Kaelie said, her voice coming out colder than she intended, yet leaving no room for negotiation. She saw Jace share a glance with Ben, and she fought the urge to snap at him and pull Jace to her. Her strange upbringing left her with deep knowledge of emotions, but a lack of experience and context to understand them. She had only met Jace days ago. Sure, they'd kissed twice now, and she wasn't complaining but that did not explain why she felt so betrayed by his past with Ben. Was this what normal teenage girls felt like all the time? Kaelie thought it would drive her nuts, and gave rare thanks to her own weird life. She hadn't known Jace, really know him, long enough to care so deeply, they were not in a relationship, and so, the brewing irritation in her gut just did not process for her. She shook her head, flinging her fake ocean hair around her shoulders like it would dispel the thoughts tumbling around her head.

When they made it back to where Kaelie parked the bike, she straddled it and looked at Jace expectantly. He looked uncomfortable, shifting his weight back and forth and Kaelie felt a sting of smug satisfaction before she chastised herself. "What is it?" she asked impatiently.

Jace opened and closed his mouth a few times before Ben finally spoke for him. "Well, I don't exactly have a ride up to where ever it is you're going. I have my scooter, but that's about it." Kaelie shrugged.

"It's not far," she said. "Your little moped thing should be fine. Just follow us." She waited for Jace to get on, waited a few more minutes for Ben's little grey moped to appear behind her before she gunned the throttle on the bike and took off. She made no attempt to slow down so Ben could keep up, couldn't help noting that the ride back to the chateau was filled with a cold silence, and she missed the warmth she'd had with Jace before.

When they arrived back at the chateau, Kaelie shut off the bike unceremoniously, and slid off it with none of her usual grace. Although, was there really any attractive way to get off of a motorcycle? Kaelie doubted it. She stalked up the bridge path to the door and yanked it open, pulling her wig off as she entered. God, she really hated that thing. She had not waited for Jace, or for Ben, she could hear Jace's footsteps crunching over the cobblestone as he called after her.

"Kaelie, wait up," he said, finally catching her good wrist and twirling her around. "Are you okay?" She glared at him until he released her, her anger no longer hot, but cold and empty, paving way for the sadness to creep in.

"I'm fine," she said.

'Well, you don't seem fine," he pressed, trying to catch Kaelie's eye, but she wouldn't look at him. Jace rolled his eyes at her and let go of her arm. "Fine, Kaelie. But we are going to talk later, and you aren't getting out of it."

Kaelie ignored Jace and turned to yell at the others to come down stairs. A few moments later, Ben stumbled through the door. "Just stay there," she said. "Michael! Lilith! Sarah! I know you assholes can hear me, come downstairs. It's important."