Foiled Again

Jace knew Kaelie could hear the movement off to the side, her enhanced ears picked up even the softest of noises, and she made no move to draw attention to it. Serna Rose was not a Hunter, and while she may be powerful, she could do nothing like what a Hunter could. Jace thought he must be getting really used to bullets near his head, because when the shot rang out, he didn't flinch.

The three guards that held his friends hostage dropped immediately, neat holes appeared in the sides of their heads, and Ms. Rose sprang from her chair, grabbing onto the ledge that ran around the roof. "Surprised?" Kaelie asked. "You should be. I know you thought you knew how this would pan out, thought you knew how to get me to go with your ridiculous scheme, and you would get to keep me and my friends here for you to use? I bet you're none to happy with the current turn of events. Let me break it down for you. I always wanted to go on one of those bad guy monologues, but the good guy never gets to do any of that."

Jace reminded himself never to cross Kaelie or get on her bad side, and for the first time, he began to think they really might make it out of this lab, that he and Kaelie could have more than the stolen kisses, the threat of danger. "Ben, come over here," Kaelie called and Ben came next to her, heavy sniper rifle pointed at the floor near his feet. "Surprised to see him?"

"I was too, when he showed up in Paris. He left us before, but you know that. Well, me and him had a long conversation about some things. He told me he had been tracking some of your new creations, he'd kept one alive long enough to ask it what it's orders were. They told him about you, that you wanted to get to me. I admit, the President was a bit of a surprise, but you always manage to get your greasy hands into every cookie jar.

"I knew it was only a matter of time until you came for me directly, and I was prepared to let you. But you went after my family. You went after Jace, my Jace. And, that is something I couldn't ever let happen. So, Ben and I planned for the day you came and took me away. He gets in. He plays the coward, spineless and believable. You think you've won. The thing about me, Ms. Rose, is that I am like a weed. I just keep coming back. So. My friends are going to leave now. You will unlock the doors. You will let each of them walk out of here."

"I will do no such thing," Serna said, but Jace did not miss the wobble of her chin, or the tremble in her voice, and it didn't appear that Kaelie did either.

"Oh, I think you will. See, Ben here is a pretty good shot. I rather enjoyed his demonstration, didn't you?" Kaelie said, her voice steady. "You may be powerful, Serna. But you're still human, and bullets don't care about money or intelligence. Call your guards. Let them leave. Now."

"Kaelie, you act like we're going anywhere without you," Sarah started, but Kaelie stopped her.

"Don't argue Sarah. I want you to leave and get somewhere safe. I need you guys to get Jace's mother out of here too, she's in danger here, and I don't want Serna manipulating her with her vile threats any longer. Take Michael. Take Lilith and Jace. Get downstairs, get in the car, and leave. I'll find you. When I see you drive past the building, I will send Ben down. We'll meet up Sarah, you can't be rid of me that easy."

Sarah hesitated again, and Jace could see fear and worry in her eyes. But to Jace, she also looked resigned, like she was prepared for something bad to happen and knew there was nothing she could do about it. Jace felt his stomach clench and he looked back at Kaelie. He didn't like the feeling he had, and he stepped closer to the back of Kaelie's chair.

"Jace, it's time to go. You heard Kaelie. She'll be right behind us," Michael said, clasping Jace's shoulder, but even he still looked tense and defensive, like Kaelie's apparent upper hand was unreal. He leaned in to speak into Jace's ear. "Trust me, Jace. We get one shot at this. Kaelie planned this, but it has to go down on her terms. If we wait too long, Serna will find a way to end it all. We need to go. Now."

Jace reached to Kaelie, but she didn't turn to look at him and her hands were clenched, and Michael was tugging him away. He turned away, and he didn't see Serna Rose get up. He didn't hear the click of her heel or the snick of a slide being pulled. He didn't hear the clatter as Kaelie's chair hit the ground.