Chapter 3.5 Goodnight

Lily climbed out of the car as Jason came around, closing the door for her.  

She could see the flickering television on in the living room, and said, "You don't need to-" 

"I know I don't need to. I promise, I'll make it quick." 

She felt his hand at her elbow as they crossed the porch, and entered. Joanna stepped into the hallway as they shut the door behind them. 

"We're just going to say goodnight to the girls," Lily said, kissing her mom's cheek. 

Joanna nodded and went back to her spot on the couch, watching the late news.  

"They're down here," Lily said, setting her purse on the table in the hall.  

Lily had made the two smaller bedrooms of this house into one big bedroom/playroom for the girls. She pushed the door open and looked in. They were both asleep, a pink lamp glowing softly between their beds. Jason stepped past her into the room and Lily folded her hands together to keep from stopping him. He stood between their beds for a moment, then, as if he'd done it every night of his life, he picked up the books scattered on Esme's quilt and set them in a neat stack on the floor by her bed. He pulled her blanket up just a little, laid a hand on her head for a brief moment and whispered, "Goodnight, Esme." Then turning to Ambra he gathered the naked Barbie dolls and set them on the foot of her bed, pulled her blanket carefully from under her and covered her with it, touched his hand to her head and whispered, "Goodnight Ambra." 

He straightened and stepped back out into the hallway and waited for Lily to join him. Lily pulled the door almost closed and looked at him, "Thanks for not making me lie to her." 

Jason tried looked surprised, "You? You would never!."  

"Shut-up! I'm supposed to be teaching her to stay away from strange men." 

"No offense, little girl, but that's her dad's job."

Lily looked taken aback for a second, then said, "He's doing piss poor work of it."

"So I've seen."

"I don't know why Esme likes you so much." 

"It scares me, a little," he admitted.

"It horrifies me." 

Jason nodded, "That's fair."

"It's not like her." 

"To like me?" 

"To like any man." 

"Just men?" 

"She took it particularly badly when her father left." 

"How long ago was that?" 

"A little more than two years. I don't really want to ..." she trailed off.  

Jason stepped closer, "You don't have to, not yet anyway." 

"Or ever." She held up her hand when it looked like he might say more. "Thank you, for dinner, and for saying goodnight to the girls." 

"You're welcome. Shall I still pick you up tomorrow night after work?" 

Lily looked down the hall, past his shoulder, and whispered, "Yes." 

Jason looked at her, and nodded, "Tomorrow then." 

"Tomorrow." 

She felt the light pressure of his hand at her elbow and he leaned forward and pressed a kiss to her cheek. She turned her face to his, their lips barely apart, felt his other hand settle on her hip.