05 | birthdays

Billie says goodbye to Scott as they reach her house. For the past two days, Scott has been walking home with Billie. At first, Billie was slightly apprehensive, as she doesn't know Scott all that well, but over the past two days, she's come to enjoy walking with somebody else who enjoys the silence as much as she does.

Scott says goodbye in reply, and as Billie runs up the porch steps he adds, "happy birthday, for tomorrow. Tell Curly too if I don't see him tomorrow."

"Thanks," Billie tells him and gives Scott a small smile. She knows that he only remembered because of Curly, but it still felt nice to be remembered nonetheless.

Billie watches as Scott walks down the street before disappearing as he turns onto another street. She turns back around and opens the fly screen door. As she does, she sees Angela lounging on the sofa and Tim and Curly sitting at the table.

"Look who finally decided to come home," Curly teases, giving Billie a playful smile.

Billie looked at the clock on the wall. It was just after three. She really wasn't late at all, considering she was walking.

"Ignore him," Angela tells Billie as she throws a cushion at Curly, who catches it with ease.

"What are you all doing here so early?" Billie asks as she drops her backpack beside the sofa.

"There's a rodeo in tonight. We wanted to come home early so we could good seats," Tim answers.

"We don't even need to get there early. Tim just has to show up and everybody runs," Curly laughs, causing Tim to snatch the cushion out of Curly's hand and throw it in his face.

"So that means you're not going to be home for dinner?" Billie asks, calculating how much food she'll need to make dinner.

Tim frowns. "You're coming with us," he says.

"Consider this as an early birthday present," Angela adds, a smile on her face.

A rodeo was the last place Billie would want to be on her birthday, but she kept that to herself. There was no need to further highlight the differences she had with her siblings.

"I'll quickly have a shower and get changed," Billie informs her siblings before grabbing her backpack and walking down the hallway into her room.

Billie walks out of the house to the sight of an electric blue souped-up car. She has no idea what type of car it is or why her siblings (including Angela, who had never shown an interest in cars before, only the person driving it) were staring at it like it was God's gift on earth.