18 | two steps backwards

Billie and Cynthia sit in silence, avoiding each other's eyes as the class around them is alive with chatter, pairs pouring over the comprehension questions Mr Symes has set with finishing Robinson Crusoe.

At the front of the room, in the very first row, is Ponyboy and Liz Cowan: the All-American perfect girl. As they work on the questions, Liz laughs loudly at something Ponyboy has said, head thrown back in laughter as her soft curls fall across her face. She rests a hand on Ponyboy's arm, whispering something in his ear that has him smiling.

Something bitter and vicious coils in Billie's gut, poisoning her insides as she can't tear her eyes away from Ponyboy and Liz. They're both smiling at each other, matching soft, timid smiles like they're the only two people in the world. It's the same smile Ponyboy gave Billie on Friday night, when they were sitting on the hood of a car and it felt like Billie was floating, like she was far away from everything and her world only consisted of her and Ponyboy in that moment. Like being with Ponyboy was the only thing that mattered.

Once again, the white-hot, vicious feeling thrashes in Billie's stomach, screaming out to Billie that something is very, very wrong. Billie knows she's frowning, but she can't help it. Seeing Ponyboy and Liz actually enjoying the other's company, laughing like they were friends, like they were something more ⏤ whatever it is, it feels wrong. Like the world's axis has been flipped on its head, and Billie is the only one who can sense how wrong it feels.

"For the questions to be answered, you two girls actually have to talk," Mr Symes says, standing over the table, eyebrows raised with the lack of process Billie and Cynthia have made with the questions. His presence makes Billie look away from the front of the room. "It involves opening your mouths and words coming out."

"Yes, sir," both girls mumble without looking at each other.

"Oh look! You both know how to talk. Now answer the questions. They are to be done before the end of class." Mr Symes then leaves, checking the process of the two boys in the row behind Billie and Cynthia, who have turned their question sheets into paper airplanes.

Billie and Cynthia make a start on the questions, mumbling answers to each other softly and scribbling down what the other was saying. Billie's heart wasn't in it, not when the only thing on her mind is Ponyboy and Liz.

Billie doesn't know what is more unsettling: seeing Ponyboy and Liz work together willingly or her reaction to Ponyboy and Liz working together willingly.

When Billie arrives to lunch after Home Economics, Ponyboy isn't there. She ignores the sinking feeling in her gut that is telling her something is wrong as she starts to eat her sandwich, listening to the conversation Scott and Leo were having about sophomore-level Maths.

Ponyboy arrives to their spot behind the cafeteria halfway through lunch, sitting down in the empty space beside Leo. Laura raises her eyebrows as she eats her sandwich. "Where have you been?"

"Class," Ponyboy responds shortly as he takes out his own lunch.

"For half of lunch?" Laura questions.

"Why does it matter to you?"

"Geez, sorry for having an interest in what my friends have been doing," Laura mutters, rolling her eyes at Ponyboy's snappy attitude.

Billie averts her eyes away from Laura and Ponyboy. She hates conflict, with it akin to the sound of nails on a chalkboard. Billie feels like curling into a ball at the inclination of conflict, and with Laura, it's almost certain that a fight will break out.

Ponyboy doesn't hear Laura, or he ignores her, as he takes a bite out of his sandwich. Billie breathes a sigh of relief, the tension and fear leaving her body as the probability of an argument dwindles. Billie wants to delay their group's first fight for as long as possible, to not break the world of peace and solitude they've found in each other.