04

IT KIND OF comes out of nowhere, and Soonyoung's not expecting it in the slightest. It had been a week since he'd talked to Jihoon about his compatibility - he'd tried ignoring the conversation's existence entirely, and he'd hoped Jihoon might've moved on from it, too.

He guesses not, though.

"You never told me, Soonyoung."

"Told you what?"

"What do you care about?"

Soonyoung goes still, eyeing the boy in front of him. They were dismissed from class a little ahead of schedule and now they're waiting in the cafeteria, alone, for the rest of their friends to show up. Soonyoung takes his time chewing, if only to put off having to answer.

"Uh, I mean. I don't know, really," he says after swallowing.

"I swear to God, that's a lie."

" ... No it's not."

"Kwon Soonyoung, who never fucking shuts up, refuses to talk about his ideal partner. Call me offended, Soonyoung, I thought this was the sort of thing best friends tell each other." Which, yeah. It is, Soonyoung thinks, but not when your best friend also happens to be the same person you've been crushing on since the sixth grade. Jihoon sighs.

"Show me your chart."

"What?"

"I said, show me your chart. And don't even think about saying no, Soonyoung - especially after all the shit you've said about mine, I think you owe me this much."

Soonyoung stares at him for a bit, then exhales long and hard before fishing his phone out of his pocket. He pulls up the screenshot and passes the device over to Jihoon. He probably won't understand a thing, anyway.

This assumption is further proven when Jihoon's eyebrows knit and his mouth twists uncertainly. The look of concentration he's wearing is comical, and fuck, he's so cute. Soonyoung's almost angry. 

"Okay," Jihoon says, somewhat reluctantly, "well, I don't really know what any of this means - " a grin makes its way onto Soonyoung's face " - but I can see you have five Gemini placements here, one after the other, and honestly? What the fuck, Soonyoung. Why is there so much Gemini." He phrases it as more of a statement, an accusation, than a question, and that grin dissipates sooner than it came.

"What's wrong with Gemini?" he pouts.

"Shit, I don't know. They're two-faced? Look, I don't mean to generalize or anything, but I rarely hear good things about Geminis, and there is so much Gemini here - "

"Fuck off, you love me."

Jihoon looks up at him from the phone screen, his expression something entirely unreadable, and Soonyoung counts the seconds that pass between them. By the time he hits five, Jihoon shows the smallest crack in his exterior, an amused grin twitching into place. 

"Okay, yeah, but that doesn't mean I trust you."

"Why not?"

"I'm sorry, Mr. Gemini sun, moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars - "

"Shut up, you don't even understand what it means - "

"You underestimate me, Soonyoung."

"You literally just told me like, a minute ago, that you don't know what any of it means." Jihoon passes Soonyoung's phone back to him, still smiling, and he does that thing where he licks his lips, thinking. Soonyoung feels something like balloons popping in his stomach.