06

SOONYOUNG DOESN'T REALLY know what point they're at, now. Since that night on his roof, he's gone for a few more kisses - just small ones, soft on Jihoon's cheeks and nose, and his forehead, and his lips, and -

And the response hasn't exactly been discouraging. Jihoon smiles something tiny and fond and his cheeks go all red, so it must be a good thing, although they haven't gone further than that; that is to say, they haven't talked about it. Are they dating? Are they just really good friends? If that's the case, Soonyoung is calling serious bullshit. This is not what really good friends do.

But maybe Jihoon doesn't know that. Or maybe he doesn't want to call Soonyoung his boyfriend. Maybe Soonyoung should stop being greedy and just be happy with what he's got.

Maybe he should just not think about it too much.

"Oh, that looks fun," is the first thing Soonyoung says when he meets Jihoon at the café. He's got a mug of hot chocolate in one hand, Jihoon's latte in the other, and he's looking at the study guide spread out across the table.

"Shut up," Jihoon groans. "I fucking hate chemistry. I'm going to fuck up the entire periodic table with my bare hands."

"Good luck with that."

Soonyoung likes helping Jihoon study; firstly, because he loves to rub in the fact that he's by far the best at science between the two of them, and secondly - well, Jihoon's just really cute when he's frustrated. And he's always frustrated when it comes to chemistry.

"I'm going to cry Soonyoung. I will sob. There's no way I'm not failing this test."

"Shush, you'll do great."

"No. I really won't."

"Yes, you will, because I'm helping you. You don't think I'm going to let you fail, do you?"

Jihoon gives him a look, one that's torn between absolute distress and something a little warmer, a little more appreciative. Soonyoung tries to shoot back the brightest grin he can manage, but his heart's unsteady in its cage and his smile wobbles with it.

"I'm really glad to have you," Jihoon says suddenly. "Like, you're probably the best thing that's ever happened to me."

Soonyoung can't help but stare as Jihoon flushes more and more by the second; he's embarrassed, pulling his sleeves further over his hands and shrugging down like he's trying to fold in on himself. When Soonyoung chuckles, he tries to keep it as casual as he can so Jihoon can't make out the megaphone in his chest that's blaring - I love you! I love you! I love you!

"All this because I'm teaching you about covalent compounds, huh?" Jihoon kicks him under the table, and Soonyoung barks out a laugh.

"Asshole."

"No, no, I'm kidding, that's - God, you're so cute, Jihoon."

"I hope you choke."

"No, I'm serious. You're fucking adorable. That was so sweet. What you just said was so sweet, and I'm trying really hard to keep it together right now because I'm - I'm - "

Infatuated, head over heels, besotted, whipped like a god damn idiot - there are a lot of words Soonyoung could use in this instant, but he cuts himself off with a grin and starts over.

"You're so wonderful, Jihoonie. That's all I'm saying. Don't be embarrassed about it."

"I am. I hate saying shit like that."