FOUR| MEET THE SPELLMAN'S

✸

          JADE DIDN'T SPEAK much to her God Mother, Marina. She mostly stayed to herself, which wasn't a very hard task, considering how large the house was. Jade only left her room when she needed food, or had to use the bathroom, other than that, she'd either sleep, or skim the pages of The Book of Magic, a book Marina insisted she read, as a beginner witch.

Jade's witch practice wasn't going the greatest, Marina sat down with the girl, to practice some basic spells, but it ended in ultimate chaos. Jade's task was to light the table of candles, with a flick of her finger, but, instead she ended up, flicking each of the candles in every direction of the dining room, nearly busting open a window, none of the candles lit.

"Just concentrate on the fire and the candle, you're overthinking it." Marina said, retrieving each candle, for some reason, the women's calm voice enraged Jade, if I was supposed to be some almighty witch, why couldn't I light a fucking candle? Jade thought to herself angrily. "Try just the one." Marina offered, placing the single candle, in the middle of the table, Jade groaned, lifting her pointer finger, hesitatingly, at the candle, this time there was fire, but not in the places it was supposed to be, Jade let out a gasp, as she noticed the drapes ablaze, Marina flicked her finger putting the fire out, before it grew too big. "That's okay, we can always try—" before she could finish her statement, Jade rises from the chair, abruptly, nearly knocking it over. "I told you, I couldn't do this, I can't do what you need me to do, I'll only make things worse." She says, before storming up the stairs, that was the last time she'd spoken to the women.

If Jade was being honest, she was embarrassed. She was supposed to be some mighty and powerful witch, Marina said they needed her, no one had ever needed her, she wasn't sure if she quite liked being needed.

She'd only been living at the house for a little less than a week now, and only mumbled a few words to the other witches. The three younger witches, didn't live in the house with Marina and Jade, they had their own families of witches and warlocks and came to Marina as a mentor, she was training the three to be High Ladies of The Church of Day. Jade on the other hand, moped around, feeling sorry for herself, some witch she was.

The curly haired girl, finally pulled herself from her bed, pulling out fresh clean clothes from her dresser, Jade's first night here, Marina had done a summoning spell, retrieving all her belongings from her foster mothers house, Jade was thankful for this, despite how much she hated that shit hole of a house, it was still home, she had pictures and records and all kinds of little trinkets that reminded her of better times.