Chapter 51

The rumors spread like wildfire. I was the center of attention for days and people were still insisting that Czanelle was my daughter. The hags who started it halfheartedly apologized to me after I threatened their families but it was all too late. People who do dirty tricks to bring a person down do not deserve to be treated fairly.

I also learned that those losers were admirers of Queeñigo, and surprisingly, those who befriended Katrina when she rose in fame. In short, mga may crush kay Iñigo na kunwari ay sinusuportahan ang mga nali-link sa kanya pero ang totoo ay sinusumpa na nila.

"Stop harassing my parents!" the shortest hag demanded and the students who heard her glared at her. Served her right. We were in the library.

"Did I?" I mocked.

"You—!"

"Oh, someone's calling."

Nakatingin lang ako sa phone ko na nakalapag sa lamesa habang naka-display ang isang unknown number. Judging by her expression, she knew the owner of that number. I answered the call and pressed the speaker.

"Hello? Is this Chloe Esguerra?" the woman on the other line asked.

"Yes. Who is this?"

"I . . . I'm Herlinda Gomez," pakilala niya at pagtingin ko sa babaeng nasa harapan ko ay para siyang nakakita ng multo. "Your company's representative said I should call you regarding this matter."

"What matter?"

"I just want to know the reason why your company and its subsidiaries pulled out as shareholders, investors and board members."

I looked at the younger Gomez and flashed a smirk. "Ask your daughter, Mrs. Gomez. Maybe she knows the reason for that. Good day."

Nang in-end ko ang call ay muli akong tumingin sa kanya at hindi na maipinta ang itsura niya. She clearly wanted to strangle me but that wouldn't be a wise move. Their company's future is in my hand.

"How can you do this?!"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Huwag kang magdrama sa akin. You started this. You made your move. I made mine." Umayos ako ng upo at ngumiti sa kanya. "And you pissed the hell out of me. So be prepared, Heidi Gomez. I'm just starting."

Hindi na siya nakasagot matapos kong sabihin 'yon. She stormed off and made a scene before she could leave the library. Napabuntong-hininga ako nang mawala siya sa paningin ko at napapikit na lang ako sa sobrang stress. The days were getting tougher and I don't know if I could keep this façade any longer.

Kinuha ko ulit ang phone ko at nagtingin na lang ng pictures. These past few months, my gallery were filled with candid shots of Czanelle, Clark and even Jazer. Seeing my siblings' genuine smiles made me feel better. I never protected anyone except myself before. Funny how that changed in a matter of months.

"Stop following me, leech!"

"I am not following you. Stop being delusional."

Napatingin naman ako sa direksyon ng dalawang pamilyar na boses at nakita ko ang dalawang taong nagpapasakit ng ulo ko ngayon.

"There you are witch," Queenie greeted as she sat right next to me.

"My day is already ruined," I muttered.

"Panira naman talaga 'yan ng umaga," sabi niya habang nakatingin kay Katrina na ngayon ay nakatayo pa rin.

"My god, hindi ba tumitigil ang bibig nito?" Katrina retorted. "Sabagay, only low-class people talk like that."