Chapter 55

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the night after the excruciating finals. They were dancing and laughing as the night grew deeper. Some were already drunk while others were talking about their academic activities, love experiences and ghost stories.

"Why are you here?"

Pagtingin ko sa gilid ay nakaupo na si Iñigo sa tabi ko. He was holding a can of beer and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Want some?" alok niya pero umiling ako.

"I have to stay clearheaded."

"For what?"

I gave him a smile. "That's a secret."

We stayed silent for a few minutes. It was actually calming to have him by my side because he's one of the people I'm most comfortable with. It was like we were in high school once again, but this time, we already sorted out our feelings for each other.

"Both of you seem to be distraught," he suddenly said, breaking the silence between us. "You and Jazer, I mean. Did something happen?"

What I liked and hated about him before was his attentiveness. Maybe it was also one of the reasons why Queenie got attracted to him. He knew about her real personality and he didn't mind. When everything got worse, he didn't leave her side because the Queenie everyone hated was the Queenie he fell in love with.

"Is he?" I asked back.

"He keeps on glancing at your direction a while ago."

Napatingin naman ako sa kanya nang bigla siyang tumawa nang mahina.

"What?"

"Wala. I'm just glad that you finally let someone in."

"What are you—"

"Noong high school tayo, people think you're a difficult person to be with," he said while looking outside, as if reminiscing those times. "I feel ashamed but I kinda agree to that. Even though I was the only person you were close to, it felt like there was a thick wall between us. You were afraid to get out of your safe place and nobody wanted to risk getting in."

Hindi ko alam kung bakit pero habang pinakikinggan ko siya ay nahihirapan akong huminga. My emotions were a mess these past few days.

"Then I realized . . . Ah, maybe I wasn't the right person to break that wall. And maybe I, too, was afraid to know her well. I felt guilty when we drifted apart because I found happiness in someone else. Whenever I see you walking anf eating alone in the campus, my heart felt heavy. I was afraid to approach you because you already made it clear that you didn't want to see and talk to me."

He sighed and continued drinking his beer while I sneakily wiped the welling tears in my eyes.

"So when I saw you with Jazer, I felt relieved. He had something I didn't," he remarked while glancing at me. "The courage and stubborness to break your wall. And gradually, you unconsciously attracted people who feel the same way as you. People who were afraid to show their true selves. So I'm thankful to him because I get to see the side you kept on hiding and you became a friend to Queenie."

"I really hate that side of you," I muttered but he just chuckled in return.

"I hope you can finally find your happiness, Chloe."

Few years ago, I was annoyed that he confessed at me after finding Queenie. He was the only person I was comfortable with besides Nanay Fe, Nanay Meling and Kuya Larry. So when I lost him, I felt lonely.

My parents left me. Nobody wanted to be close to me. Iñigo walked away, too. I thought, maybe I was the problem. Pero ngayon, nagpapasalamat ako na may mga taong dumating at nanatili sa tabi ko.