First Encounters

Song: Faded

By: Alan Walker

Ring! The last bell chimed as Keefe made his way out of the detention room. He pulled out his crumpled foxfire schedule from his green level four uniform; not that he needed it, photographic memory and all. "Afternoon session..." He muttered to himself, it read The universe with Lady Belva. Definitely ditching.

He casually made his way to his usual ditching spot, it was complete with stark white walls, a potted plant, beautiful abstract paintings, his wooden bench he usually sat on, no sprawled across; and the huge floor to ceiling window, overlooking the foxfire campus.

The paintings reminded him of how he used to do art; but, yet another dream for his over-expectant dad to crush. Well, he thought to himself I guess I have an hour to kill.  

    Not even ten minutes went by before he saw a girl with blond hair start to come his way, she was facing the other direction, so he couldn't tell who it was yet, but as she turned to face forward, he realized; oh, it's that new girl he couldn't remember her name, but that didn't matter at the moment, because for some reason, Keefe could feel her emotions .

Keefe tried to cover up his shock by nonchalantly leaning back on the bench, but he was curious and came to the assumption "You must be lost." she blinked a few times before asking "How did you know?" He smirked "It's the middle of the session. Either you're lost, or you're ditching- and clearly you're not ditching." she raised an eyebrow "Why couldn't I be ditching?" He found it funny that she was arguing.

"Well, are you?" "No" she admitted. He grinned "You must be the new girl" she sighed and nodded "Yeah"

"I'm Keefe"

"I'm Sophie- but I'm sure you already know that"

He laughed "You may be the biggest news to hit the academy since the Great Gulon Incident 3 years ago- which, by the way, I had nothing to do with." he flashed a slightly wicked smile. " but that's not a bad thing. Personally, I've always enjoyed being the center of attention"

She didn't say anything for a moment, her eye scrutinizing him. He almost wanted to tease her by saying checking me out? But he resisted. "Where are you supposed to be?" she asked

"The universe, but I ditch whenever I can, but I'm not missing out, and I got to meet the mysterious new girl, so I'd say ditching paid off pretty well."

She blushed "I'm hardly mysterious"

"I don't know," Keefe said, clicking his tongue "You haven't told me why you aren't in your session"

She stared down "It's too embarrassing"

Keefe laughed "I love embarrassing, where are you supposed to be?"

She sighed again "Alchemy with Lady Galvin"

"Ugh, she's the worst, she hated me because I turned the lab table to silver, but she did say she wanted me to impress her" he winked and added, "But I don't think you should mention we're friends if I were you."

Sophie sighed, "You're going to laugh at me."

"Probably." He agreed

"I accidentally exploded this serum I was making" and right on cue, Keefe started laughing.

Keefe pretended to wipe invisible tears from his eyes "Did you do any damage?"

"Only her cape-" she said, looking relieved

"Woah, woah, woah. Do you have any idea how epic that is? Her capes are her pride and joy. Did she send you down to Dame Alina's office?"

"No, just the healing center, I got a little on my hand," she said, glaring at the ugly red welt on her hand.

Keefe stared at her, how was this level 2 not crying? "Wow" he finally said "Most girls would be crying about a wound like that- guys too. I'd even be playing it up for the sympathy and stuff."

"Eh," she said, shrugging it off "It must look worse than it is"

"Still, don't you think you should get that treated?"

"I guess" as she said it, she turned as white as the walls around them.

"Come on, then. I'm taking you to the healing center so you don't get lost again." He hooked his arm through hers and dragged her away before she could resist.

I have a feeling about this girl, that things are about to get a lot more interesting around here

Rose 🥀

Rose 🥀