Chapter 1

a/n: hi and welcome to the first chapter! be sure to leave comments. okay bye!

I don't own the lunar chronicles :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinder woke to the blaring noise of her internal alarm going off. She groggily opened her eyes, immediately squinting against the bright sunlight streaming in through the windows. She sat up and looked around taking in her room once again, as if she had to remind herself everyday where she was.

The Eastern Commonwealth royal quarters she was staying in were nothing like the common apartment where she had lived with Adri, nor the cramped, shared rooms filled with bunk beds on the Rampion. The elegant room she now lived in was very spacious and much too big for just one person.

Which she guessed was okay, for she hadn't been staying in it alone.

Cinder smiled down at the arm that was thrown over her waist and then at her sleeping fiancé's face. It had been about two years since Kai had asked her to marry him, two years since she had moved back to Earth. Of course, she would often return to Luna to help form the new government and get the people settled, but she was never lonely anymore.

A groan and a shift in the blankets brought her attention back to Kai. He opened his eyes and stared up at her.

"Good morning," he slurred.

Cinder smiled and brushed some hair out of his eyes as he sat up next to her.

"Good morning," she replied.

She laid her head on his shoulder and he kissed the top of her head.

"Today's a big day," he said smiling.

Cinder nodded. Today was the day that she and the whole world had been waiting for.

Today was their wedding day.

Cinder bit her lip. Most of the Eastern Commonwealth had graciously accepted their new empress-to-be, however, there was still a chunk of the population that wasn't as fast to let go of their prejudices.

There had been protests against the cyborg-lunar-freak-of-nature girl who many people still remembered as the rebellious criminal who had kidnapped their emperor. It had been four years since the Lunar War, but it seemed like it was yesterday.

The dangerous part was over indeed, however the frustrating part seemed endless.

Not to mention Cinder's family history with world domination attempts and murder. The protesters also loved to remind her about how her aunt had been married to Kai and "look how great that turned out".

Kai peered at Cinder as her mind swirled.

"Hey," he said as if he could read her thoughts, "Its going to be okay. It doesn't matter what anyone says. The only people who need to be there are you and me."

Cinder smiled but it quickly faded. "I know but I just can't stop thinking of those protests. I mean, they don't worry you even a little bit? We're supposed to listen to the people's concerns and they seem a little more than concerned about this".

"Cinder, you have to remember the protesters aren't the majority of the people, they're just the loudest," he took her right hand into his and kissed it.

Cinder nodded and relaxed a bit.

"Yeah, I guess you're right, I just wish they-"

BANG! The door slammed open before Cinder could finish her sentence.