Chapter Four

Juliet stared at her ceiling as the morning sun began to rise. The light illuminated the surfaces of her room she hadn't seen the night before.

Her window faced west but after a long talk with LuLu - who just so happened to be serving as head of the household until Vincent McCoy decided to get married - Juliet was able to convince the woman to open curtains in spaces McCoy didn't inhabit. LuLu was more interested in getting on Vincent's nerves, however. The old woman had no fear.

She had laughed the entire way when escorting Juliet to her room.  She could only imagine the rage Vincent would feel. The tantrum he'd have would make her laugh for weeks. 

Now, sunlight began to pour in through the crack under the door. Out of impulse, Juliet stood up and tied her pale yellow robe around her before waltzing out the door. It was about time for her walk, and she would have it - collateral or not!

Maids watched in awe as the girl descended the staircase. Even with her hair untamed and her body free of any accessories, she was beautiful. It was something that came naturally to her, something that was hidden underneath the skin.

Then again, everyone heard what she did to the master. Everyone respected her for putting him in his place. Everyone tried to tell him that fires were out of season by this point. Then she had the courage to compliment the cooks! Mr. McCoy never said anything nice to anyone. His silence was compliment enough. It was when he spoke to you - or yelled for that matter - to correct your behavior or task execution that scared everyone the most.

"Can someone show me the way to the gardens?" All six of the women paused what they were doing, whether it be dusting, sweeping, or polishing. All six pairs of eyes focused entirely on Juliet, who continued smiling through it all.

"I'm sure Rosie wouldn't mind," the youngest of the women stepped forward when volunteered, her dress falling down her right shoulder. She had a bright smile as she dipped her head down to the beautiful Miss Chambers. 

"I haven't had anyone ask to see my garden in years!" The teenager smiled brightly, waving Juliet to follow her down the hall. "We don't get any guest anymore and the master hates going outside when it's hot - it's always hot down here. I hope you like it. I've got all kinds of pretty little flowers!"

She listed them all off, and their color, and even where to find them in the space. Juliet couldn't help but smile, envisioning how much grander it must be compared to her own little garden. Then there was the bright personality of the girl that made her smile even more. There was finally someone as talkative as she was.

"If you go left far enough you'll find the fountain, but it doesn't run anymore. There's also a well in the back, so be careful around there." Rosie stopped talking when they reached a pair of french doors, covered in a lace curtain to let just enough sunlight come in to illuminate the hall.

"Thank you for the in-depth explanation of the gardens. I'm sure you take very good care of it and I know it must take a great deal of your time to tend." Rosie couldn't help the blush that crept up her neck. 'Thank you' wasn't tossed around very much in the McCoy household. Especially when it was only Vincent McCoy himself they usually served.

Juliet waited until Rosie disappeared around the corner before opening the door and stepping into the freshly risen sunlight. She didn't mind the morning dew sticking to her slippers or dampening the hem of her nightgown. She didn't mind the cool air that nipped at her skin or the low rumbling of a promising thunderstorm. It was only her, the flowers, and the sun.

~~

Vincent hated many things. He hated people wearing bright colors, losing arguments, and waking up before ten the most. And yet, all three managed to happen within the last twenty-four hours.