Chapter Fifteen

Harris Jones proved to be the most agreeable man Juliet had ever met. He was smart, charming, and all-around perfect. He was not mean or cruel, he never raised his voice, and she never felt as though she was in any sort of danger even though she was surrounded by nothing but strangers in an unknown place. He was nothing like Vincent McCoy.

After two hours spent talking and eating, Juliet was sure she had found the man she would marry. There was not a single doubt in her mind that he was the one. It was a match made in heaven. How ironic for her to find a good match while away from home? All she ever desired in life was to be free to travel, and this was it. He was her ticket away from her home.

"You're sighing again," Serena was busying herself with some household chores while the men were out and meeting with old friends. She was fine with being alone with Juliet, especially now that the two could talk without anyone else listening in. "Was he that perfect?"

Juliet felt her cheeks heat up. "How did you know it was about him?" The look she received was an answer she didn't need words for. "Yes, he was amazing. He was a gentleman, he was caring, and he didn't even mind if I talked on a subject he disagreed on. He didn't care that I'm a female, he understands that I have my own opinions and-and it makes me think that... life with him may be perfectly agreeable."

Serena set her broom aside, trying to not let Juliet see her frown.  As a married woman, she understood the feelings of love and devotion very well, but she wasn't sure Juliet felt nearly the same for Harris as Serena did for Jeremiah. "Oh? You can imagine a life with him after only an hour-"

"Two hours-" Juliet corrected thoughtlessly.

"Same difference. I think you need to slow down before you get yourself hurt." The two fell into silence, both trying to understand what the other was thinking. Juliet hesitated for only a moment before responding once more.

"He would never hurt me-"

"You don't know that. My point is, you don't know him well enough to make such assumptions. Besides, Vincent-"

"Vincent doesn't get any say-so in this matter. I am a grown woman, I don't need McCoy of all people telling me what I can and can't do." Juliet crossed her arms, oblivious to the two men who just entered the home.

"You wanna bet?" Vincent had finally managed to calm himself after the events that morning and even got to be out of the house while Juliet went on her little rendezvous. Now here she was, thinking she could do as she pleased after forcing herself to go with him on this trip. "I don't want you seeing this Harris Jones again. Am I understood?"

Serena knew almost instantly that Vincent chose the wrong approach for dealing with Juliet. "You aren't my Father! In fact, I'm tired of you constantly complaining about my presence and company. If you don't want me around, then let me go back home to my family! I don't have to stay with you in your stupid household! How is this even paying off my brother-in-law's debt? All I'm doing is wasting my days and ruining my voice and I'm sick of it!"

"You could have stayed in Mabelle and been perfectly happy in that plantation by yourself with all the workers, but instead you chose to come here and make my life even harder than it already is, you spoiled rotten brat! You may have some smarts from all those books, but books can't teach you common sense, you good-for-nothing hellion!" Serena was quick to grab Juliet as she sprung off the couch.

"Go outside now Vincent!" Serena left no room for arguments as Juliet began to cry hysterically, her body racking at the violent sobs that left her lips. Vincent had never seen her cry. Not when he tore her away from her home. Not when he insulted her family. Not when he had that heatstroke. Not even when he took liberties and kissed her.