Chapter Five

Juliet reentered the home, finding nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, she doubted that anyone even noticed her departure into the garden. It was her perfect little escape. Maybe she could even keep it a secret?

Of course, seeing LuLu chuckling to herself a couple of yards from the door made her think otherwise. LuLu laughed often, but only at the expense of Vincent McCoy. If she was laughing now, then that meant he knew, and he was angry.

Juliet felt the blood drain from her face, imagining the horrible opinion he must have of her. While she has no experience with the North, she had an inkling that girls didn't go walking outside in their nightclothes every morning. Girls didn't even do it down South either, it was something only she did.

Juliet had an irrational fear that when - or if - she ever got married, she wouldn't be allowed to take morning walks in the garden anymore. It wasn't unheard of for women to be completely stripped of their past lives in order to conform to their new husbands and families. 

She didn't want to give up her identity for a man. She didn't want to give up her traditions for a husband. If he loved her, truly loved her with all his being, then he wouldn't ask her to halt her morning escapes. Just as she wouldn't ask for him to change in every way. She would never ask the man she loved to strip himself of his identity for her to love him.

Which was why Juliet had become immersed in the temperance movement. She saw the same qualities in women that she saw in men. The same talents, the same hopes and fears, and even the same strengths and weaknesses. It was simply the matter of giving women the chance that set the two genders apart.

"He was here," It wasn't a question, so LuLu didn't bother to answer. Instead, she gently took the girl's elbow and led her away from the garden. The Master was mad enough, so having the girl run out in fear would only cause a rampage.

"Don't you worry about that now! All we need to worry about is getting some food in you!" And so, LuLu escorted the girl away. In her experience - which she had plenty of - it was better to feed someone before anything happened. It was important to be well fed before putting up with the mood swings of someone like Vincent McCoy.

And LuLu was sure that the Master was bound to do something. She was scared for the girl, emotionally speaking. Vincent would never harm her, of that she was certain.

~~

Vincent paced from one end of his office to another, one hand clenched behind his back and the other stroking his chin before combing through his hair. He tried to ignore his stomach as it begged him to eat, and instead tried to think of a logical argument to keep the girl away from the garden.

She was too smart for him to claim sentimental value. The girl would brush him off, no doubt, and go on a rant about how such a place couldn't possibly be important to him. Even worse than that - she might ask him questions.

He hated answering questions. Especially when it came to the garden or his father's flaws.

Vincent paused in his step, unconsciously lowering a hand to his abdomen, which ached in his need for food. If he went to the dining hall now, he might be able to sneak some breakfast before the girl came back inside.

He rushed off, hardly caring about how his employees steered away from him, or entered rooms to avoid any form of contact. Half the time he didn't even notice, but on the days he did Vincent would sneer and lock himself away in either his room or his office. Today was one of the few days he decided not to notice.

When he arrived at the doors to the dining room, he heard nothing. Of course, he assumed it was empty. Of course, he was wrong. 

Juliet sat with her back to him, her hair loose around her shoulders and falling down to her waist. She sat perfectly straight, her yellow robe falling around her like a waterfall. Vincent couldn't see her face, but he could already imagine how perfect it must look.

Before he could silently marvel any more, she turned to him, an eyebrow raised in question. "How long are you planning to stand there?"

Back to the questions. He hated questions. Would it be wrong if he turned and left without another word? No, he was hungry. He had the right to eat in his own home.

Without a sound, Vincent advanced forward, moving away from the door and closer to his seat. Gasps filled the space as the kitchen girls entered the room, stopping in their tracks. They whispered to one another, the youngest girl clearly terrified. The older girls continued to soothe her, trying to get their work done without further delay.

Juliet watched them tremble as they placed the plates down on the table. She couldn't help but feel sympathetic towards the girls but chose instead to appear strong for them. Perhaps her courage will give them courage. With her resolution in check, Juliet cleared her throat and began her interrogation.

"How long am I to remain here Mr. McCoy?" Juliet folded her hands together, muttering a quick prayer as she waited for her answer. She chose not to meet the cold eyes of her capture.

"However long I see fit. You are a payment, so you will remain here until I feel as though the money owed to me has been repaid," Vincent tipped back his glass, taking a large sip before continuing, "You can leave, but it will cost you dearly."

Juliet felt herself stiffen. He offered to let her leave, but what was the cost? Would she be able to accept whatever he wanted and leave unscathed?

"If I do leave... what will the outcome be?" Her utensils and breakfast were long forgotten now. For whatever reason, Vincent McCoy finally deemed her worthy of answers.

"Your dear brother-in-law will have to either pay the money or work off the debt. He will lose his property, his titles, and his ways of life. He and his family will work in the fields while you sit and suffer from guilt," Vincent smirked, finding Juliet's discomfort amusing. "Or perhaps you would like to see Ophelia suffer-"

"Never!" He was surprised by the girl's outburst for only a moment, but quickly covered any surprise that may have shown. Juliet was an outspoken and determined young lady, but she had never once shouted like that. "My sister may not have made the best decision, but she did what she could to protect her family. That is what a mother does!"

Vincent rolled his eyes, but in reality, he was making sure she didn't see any form of hurt or vulnerability breaking through his cold facade.

Juliet glared, finally reaching her breaking point. Vincent McCoy was insufferable, but she had boundaries he wasn't allowed to cross. "You can slight me, but you may never say a single offense towards my family again."

The man across from her gave her a long and hard look before sudden humor came about him. "How about a wager then? If I can insult you to the point you feel offended enough to leave, then I get one thing I desire from you-"

"What thing do you so desire from me?"

The man glared, debating on whether or not to answer her question since she rudely interrupted him again. "Whatever I want at that moment. My desires fluctuate like every human being."

"And if I don't get offended? What do I get out of this?" Now Vincent smiled, seeing the business partner hidden deep within her come out. Her face became cold, her eyes unreadable, and her posture straight, yet relaxed.

"For every insult I give that you don't feel offense toward, you may give back and I will not say or do anything," he watched the excitement flood her face. He was slightly deterred by the reaction she had. Had she been preparing insults to toss at him?

"Deal!" He didn't get the chance to take it back as she stood and waltzed out of the room. Instead, he stared at the seat she had occupied in disdain. Perhaps he made a mistake...