Chapter Thirteen

Juliet's head fell onto Vincent's shoulder for the third time, yet he didn't have it in him to sit her back up properly again. Lord knows she must have been tired to sleep in a carriage. The train was a rough ride as it was, but the carriage wheels on cobblestone streets tossed them around like ragdolls. Even still, she slept.

It was only two hours from the train station to his friend's - no, more like brother's - house. He expected her to be wide awake and starting at the city scenery, instead, she was fast asleep against his person. For a woman as curious as Juliet, he was surprised she slept so well in a new environment.

Her head shifted again, burrowing further into the juncture between his neck and shoulder. Her breath fanned across the exposed skin and gave him goosebumps, much to his displeasure. He wanted to clear his throat to wake her, but the soft exhale of her breath stopped all rational thought.

Never once has he been in such a compromising situation with a female (or male for that matter). He had every right to push her away from him that very instant, to wake her up and let her be embarrassed by her unconscious behavior. He could do any number of things to cause more damage to her reputation rather than his own.

But then again, he had kissed her in his delirious fevered state and then proceeded to act as if nothing happened - like he hadn't remembered. It was better for both of them that way. He had fully convinced himself of that, despite what LuLu says.

The carriage rolled to a stop in the middle of a block, with buildings towering much higher than the ones on the city of Mabelle. Vincent barely let out a breath of relief for the end of his travels when the door to the carriage was swung open by none other than his closest friend and confidante - Jeremiah Catherwood.

Jeremiah was a tall and gangly man, with the most stubborn red curls and vibrant green eyes anyone had ever seen. If that wasn't enough to set him apart from the crowd, then his pale skin and abundant freckles did the job.

He smiled his award-winning grin, casting his gaze over the sleeping woman, but not letting in dim for an instant. "You didn't tell me you were being a friend - or should I assume more than friends? Married? Engaged? Betrothed-"

"How about none of the above. I'll explain later, but I did send a letter informing you of the change of plans." Vincent maneuvered Juliet to sit back up in her seat, focusing more on getting their bags out of the carriage first.

"Well, the misses will be happy to have another female presence around!" Vincent stopped his work in the middle of handing Jeremiah a bag.

"The misses? Well, this is news to me! What female was so unlucky to get caught with the likes of you?"

"Vincent McCoy, you most certainly aren't a catch yourself!" Behind him stood Serena Baker, one of the few women he had come to trust and create a friendship with. She gave him a dazzling smile before lifting her left hand and showing him the ring. "You missed the wedding by mere months. We would have invited you, but you made it very clear that you want to make a quick trip down South and that you would be back-"

"Plans changed." Serena's smile dropped some but was quickly replaced once more. Without hesitating for even a second she turned back into the wonderful hostess she had always been.

"Oh... Well then, why don't you come on in and I'll fix us all something to eat-"

"McCoy?" Juliet peeked her head around the door to the carriage, confused at the red-headed man who was silently collecting their baggage. "There you are! For a second there I thought you abandoned me."

She visibly sighed as she began to step out, quickly assisted by Jeremiah. "Thank you, I'm not used to being treated like a lady when I'm around that oaf-"