21. Coronation

I gaze over the side of the ship, nearly letting out a squeal of excitement, I can see it, the castle the city, everything. I'm finally back.

I rush below deck to my quarters, quick to pick out a dress and shove the rest back into my luggage. Although I know I have plenty of dresses in my room at the castle, I'm sure none of them fit me now. Maybe Aria will lend me one of hers, after all, tonight is important, and I should look my best.

Regardless, I put on a gorgeous (f/c) dress, which is traditional formal entire for Tenrou. Long sleeves extend from the deep neck lined bodice, and a flowy skirt extends to the ground with gems sewn into it. I do a little twirl before leaving my room in search of Sin. He's in his own room, dressed in the attire of his own kingdom, his usual white robe with purple underneath. I smile as I watch him place his metal vessels around his neck, and puts on his rings. He wears more jewelry than I do. I chuckle to myself, as he turns to me, giving me an approving nod.

"You ready?" I ask him, unable to control the excitement building in my stomach.

"Are you?" He asks.

"Of course."

I'm more nervous than I'd expected I'd be, I guess finally being here would do that. I just don't know how I'll face everything and everyone, knowing it's changed so much. It's too late to turn back now though.

•••

We arrive at the castle along with everyone else who's here to see the coronation. My pace becomes so quick that Sinbad has to tell me to slow down, but even after I do, I speed up again. Everyone fills up the seats in the great hall, which is where I leave Sinbad.

"I've got to find her," I tell him, "I'll be right back."

He nods understanding, and I race off down the familiar hallway. Being back is strange, knowing where everything is despite being gone for so long. Not much in the castle has changed, but as we were coming here, I realized that many parts of the city are falling apart. Even the people seemed to be falling apart. There were more people outside begging than I'd ever seen before, and there were even children begging as well. It was an astounding site, we'd never had many problems with poverty in my country, at least not to this degree, so it was off putting. I'll have to ask Aria about it when I see her.

After wandering around for a bit, I catch the attention of various guards, although many of them recognize me from the various portraits of mine hanging around the palace, so they leave me be. Most of their jaws drop when they recognize me, and proceed to bow, which feels even stranger than being back. It's like I forgot I was royalty, and suddenly everyone is reminding me of it. It sends chills through my body, every time they call me "Your Highness", or "Princess", and I can't shake them.

Finally, I have to stop and ask where she is, and I'm directed towards my Mothers old bedroom. It's weird to think of Aria staying there, but I guess it makes sense seeing as how she's the queen now.

When I get to the door of the room, my pulse is racing. The palace guards are quick to open the door for me, and as they do my heart pounds in my chest so hard that I worry the guards can hear it.

I step inside, to see a blonde woman having her jewelry and other accessories put on by a hoard of hand maidens. It takes me a second to recognize the woman as my sister, but she seems to immediately recognize me. She pulls away from her care takers, and bolts over to where I stand, throwing her arms around me almost violently.

"I didn't think I'd ever see you again," she exclaims, her voice cracking slightly.

As she pulls away, I'm able to get an even better look at her. She's cut her once long blonde hair to her shoulders, making her look grown up, which I suppose she is. He blue eyes shimmer as she stares at me in awe, and I look down at her dress. It's enormous, with a lengthy train extending behind her. The dress itself is dripping in large gems and jewels, which add to the glamour of it all. The dress is a light blue color, and has sleeves which fall off her shoulders, but extend all the way to the ground, with slits for her to move her hands around. She looks like a queen.

"I've missed you," I murmur, wrapping my arms around her once again, burying my head in the crook of her neck. She smells sweet, like oranges, but also like lavender. The strange combination is still comforting, as I wish I had gotten here earlier.

"I had no idea you were coming," she tells me, holding my hands in her warm ones as we break our embrace, "You didn't send word!"

"I'm sorry I didn't send a letter, but I left as soon as I could."

"All that matters is that you're here," she beams, giving my hand a squeeze, "I don't have too much longer, so I'd better hurry up yeah?"

I nod, and watch as the finishing touches are placed on her, and then her helpers turn to me. I begin to protest, but Aria won't have it. She forces me to allow them to put on various cosmetics to my face, as she instructs them on which dress to put me in. She chooses one similar to hers in style, but no where near as extravagant. It's a pale green. with gems arranged in the same pattern as hers, with the same neckline and sleeves as well. Next, they give me various pieces of jewelry like Aria's. They also arrange my hair half up and half down, with intricate braids. They make quick work of me, and by the time they're done I look regal, like I would look constantly if I lived here now.

When everything is done, we begin walking to the throne room where everyone is waiting for Aria. I walk alongside her, catching her up on everything that's happened since I left.

"I'm so happy you reunited with Sinbad," she laughs, "I knew you'd find a way to get back to him eventually."

I nod, "He came here with me actually."

"How exciting," she smiles, "I look forward to seeing him."

We make it to the throne room door which is currently closed, and she turns to me once again, looking nervous, "I think you'd better walk in first," she instructs me, "After all you're supposed to stand next to me while I'm crowned."

I nod, and enter the room, whose doors close softly behind me. Suddenly all eyes are on me, giving me questioning glances. I pay them no mind, as I face forward, and my name and title are announced. The room erupts in a series of confused whispers, as I walk to the front of the room, where a cardinal is waiting for Aria. I stand beside him, and scan the crowd until my eyes are met with a pair of warm golden ones. Sinbad gives me an approving glance, as if he likes my makeover.

"Now presenting Princess Aria," a faceless voice booms, as the doors open, and the room goes silent. As she enters, a light but steady beat begins to play, while she floats down the aisle. She looks gorgeous, and everyone seems to think the same.

When she reaches me, she does her best not to smile, but I can see it in her eyes. She's excited, but I still sense her lingering nervousness.

The ceremony proceeds flawlessly, and soon, the crown is being placed on her head, "I now present the 17th Queen of Tenrou, Queen Aria." The cardinal announces, as the room breaks into applause. She gives a deep courtesy, as a chant of "Hail Queen Aria" begins. I applaud and join in on the chant, as a smile takes over her face. She looks on the verge of tears, but they aren't tears of sadness, they're ones of joy.