Too Many Muffins?

A.N. Don't know if I mentioned it before, but this story is predominantly TJ's POV. So this chapter is too. Sorry if the title is weird, I'm writing this late at night.

Also, suicides are these running drills that seriously suck.

After Andi figures me out, there is an awkward silence I didn't really expect. I didn't really know how to answer her question but she understood she was right with my silence. Surprisingly, she keeps driving.

We reach Dickerson's Cafe, an old favorite of mine in Shadyside and the only place I know that sells the muffins. I figure some explaining needs to be done so we both sit inside.

"How did you figure it out?"

"Easy. You made a bet with Cyrus about muffins in 8th grade. You won and you asked for blueberry macadamia nut ones."

"How do you even remember that?"

"I remember Cyrus sobbing over them after your huge fight. He baked them for you, you know. Took him at least ten tries because he wanted them to be perfect. Then that fight of yours basically destroyed your friendship and he thought he could give them to you as an apology, but you announced you were moving."

"He cared?" I ask, the slightest of tears swelling up in my eyes. The way we left things, I thought he hated me.

She pats my hand sympathetically, "I know it might seem crazy, but Buffy and Cyrus did care about you. You cannot believe the amount of times they gushed over your reactions to good math test scores. Buffy started to think of you as a brother after you guys finally became friends."

"If I had known..."

"It was a huge misunderstanding, wasn't it? TJ, could you be honest with me? Did you like Buffy?" she asks straightforwardly.

I can barely bring myself to shake my head, not even meeting her eyes. She sighs softly, "You liked Cyrus."

I give a small nod, still staring at the table, fighting off the tears of finally admitting it to the people who didn't already know. Andi lifts my head up by pushing my chin up with her fingers, "There's nothing wrong with that. You must've felt like you had to give up everything after Cyrus and Buffy thought you liked Buffy. It's completely okay."

"How could you be on my side?"

She gives me a soft smile, "I've grown up a lot since the days when my only worries were about Jonah. I tried the whole 'figuring myself out' thing. Turns out, I'm not straight either."

"Really? What are you?"

"I'm pansexual. It took me until Amber kissed me one time when we were having lunch together that the only reason I thought I hated her was because I had feelings for her and I didn't like to see her with someone else."

"Why didn't you date her, then?"

"I was too afraid to tell. Honestly, you're the first person I've ever come out to. I was so afraid when I realized my sexuality that I told Amber I didn't feel anything from the kiss. Although in all honestly, it's the number one kiss on my list even today."

"I guess we have a truce then. And there is nothing wrong with you. My sister's pan too, but she's so focused on dance that she doesn't really have feelings for people often. She won't admit it but AJ and I both know that she's dating Sloane Silverstone, her former co-captain/current Strima captain with whom she combined the original Primas and Sloane's Streets to form the Strimas. It can be difficult. Maybe you'll let yourself be free someday."

"Maybe..." she says, then stands, "Let's get you your goods and get home."

Surprisingly, the ride back is much lighter. With the shared secrets, we sort of bonded. I know she'll keep mine, just as I'll keep hers. We even sing along to some of the songs from her radio.

Once I get inside my home, I quickly head to Andy and Dani's rooms. I know that they won't want to talk to me right now, so I leave the muffins at their doors. Hopefully, they'll accept them.

I drop my things off in my room and go down to the gym in our home. I use the floor to stretch out and see how my leg is doing. Thankfully, other than some soreness from the suicides we did, I'm good. It's a good sign if I did two large things on one day and my leg didn't end up paining.

I take a quick shower and keep an ice pack taped around my ankles, mostly to alleviate the soreness. When I walk back into my room, I find my siblings waiting for me.

"We got your muffins. Now talk," AJ demands.

"Basketball means so much to me. But Dance means so much to Dani. She needed us. I didn't want to let you guys down."

"If you reinjured yourself, that would be bad for all of us! Especially you! You were almost dead to the world when you were out for the season freshman year! What if it was permanent?"

"I was extra careful. I took my meds, I did physio in the morning and before tryouts, and I iced. There's no pain, just some soreness. And I wore my brace. I think I'll be okay."

"Next time, just let us know okay?" Dani says, giving in first.

"There won't be a next time because Basketball season and the really important dance competitions won't coincide, but yeah, I will."

"Anything else you want to tell us?"

I sigh, knowing if I lie, I'll get into deeper shit than I was today, "Dami and I are going to go dirt biking. And I promise, I'll be extremely careful."

"Helmets, armpads, and kneepads. You aren't going to wreck yourself."

"As you wish. Now go video call Sloane. I know you're dying to tell her you got on the team."

She throws a pillow at me, "Really? Yeah, I will. Remember that girl I kicked off the team last semester?"

"Valeria, right? The one you then subsequently reinstated?"

"That's the one. She's out for the next few months with an injury. They had replacement tryouts today so I'm going to find out who got her spot."

"They're not your team anymore, you don't have to worry."

"The team was faring miserably until I joined. I rebuilt the team and I lead them to our titles. I can worry if I want to."

"I'm just sayin'. I know I can trust D-Tree with the Tigers."

"I'm just a regular team member of the dance team. Let me have this please?"

Finally, I nod. She tosses me my car keys, "Let's get to Sam's then! I need something to counter those muffins you got us. I ate way too many."

"I mean, Dickinson's has the best blueberry macadamia nut muffins in the whole world. Isn't that right Teej?" AJ asks.

"Yeah," I say and we head out the doors.

I still can't believe Cyrus baked me muffins for the bet.