The Truth

A.N.: There will be one more chapter after this.

The two of us sit quietly for a while. At this point, there's no reason to deny that I'm not TJ. The way I stared at him after he confessed to Andi, then ran away, and ended up here... at the very least, I just want closure. 

"I have so many questions," he says finally.

"And I think I can answer them... but I think we're going to be late for school if we don't leave now."

"Let's meet back here after your basketball practice? I can bring food if you're hungry," he suggests.

I nod. Both of us get up from our swings and go to our respective cars. I wait for Cyrus to drive off before I collect myself and go.

When I go into the main building, Andy and Dani fall in place with me, "You're usually here earlier. What happened?"

"Cyrus knows."

"Did you tell him, or did Andi tell him?"

"He figured it out. He, um... he confessed he liked me back then. To Andi. I froze and ran away to the swings, where he found me."

"So this whole time, he tried to set you up with Buffy, but he actually liked you? No wonder your relationship with him got so strained."

"Oh hush, Andrew. You are going to explain things to him, right?"

"After practice."

"Good."

After what feels like eternity, I get to the swings. Right off the bat, before I can even sit, he asks, "When you looked back at us that day when you and Buffy made up, were you looking at her?"

"I'll answer that last."

"Why did you talk to Reed after the gun incident?"

"I didn't. I was talking to Damian, Reed's twin brother. Their parents are divorced and Damian lives with his mom. He's the more sensible twin, and he's still my best friend."

"Why did you leave?"

"I wanted to be with my family again."

"And?"

"I couldn't live in Shadyside when the person who meant the world to me hated me," I admit.

"Then why didn't you leave with me when I asked you to?"

"I was scared. I didn't expect Reed to have a gun but I was worried. I left ten minutes after you. I was the one who reported it to the police. That's why Reed got community service and his father was investigated."

"Oh."

"I've been meaning to apologize for dragging you into this. Classic TJ, if anything good happens to me, I have to mess it up," I say and go to sit down.

"TJ," he says, his voice soft. I stop and turn to him, "You said you were gonna apologize."

"I just did."

"Actually, you didn't."

"Yes, I did. I said I- you're right. Well, sorry for not saying sorry."

"So... you've apologized for not apologizing, but you still haven't apologized," he says, and I start to get irritated.

I start to walk up to him, "You can be a little annoying, you know that?"

"Well, you can be oblivious," he says, getting up and doing the same. What does that mean?

"Well, you can be very judgy," I say when he stands in front of me.

"Well, you can be intimidating," he says and my heart pangs. I never wanted Cyrus to be scared of me.

"You know what else you are?" I say.

"What?"

I say softly, "The only person I care about."

Suddenly, Cyrus begins to kiss me. I'm surprised for a second but I quickly return the kiss. It's the best kiss I've ever had.

Both of us are blushing and smiling like fools after. I laugh, "In case it wasn't obvious, I looked back at you because I had such strong feelings for you."

"Do you still like me?" he asks and I respond by kissing him again. He laughs, "I'll take that as a yes."

I reach into my bag and pull out the flowers I bought, "Cyrus Josiah Goodman, will you be my boyfriend?"

He responds by kissing me. I laugh, "I'll take that as a yes."

"Obviously."

We move towards the rock structure that leads into the park's lake. Cyrus spreads out the food he got, which consists of burgers, milkshakes, and two baskets of baby taters, all from The Spoon. Once we've eaten, he asks, "What was that injury that made your siblings worry about you dancing and playing basketball in the same day."

"Some idiot on our rival team tackled me after I made a three-pointer. I broke my leg in three places and I think I strained a tendon. The doctor swore I'd make a full recovery without being hindered, but I guess they worry that it'll happen again and I'd ruin my career. I understand their concerns but I've been okay so far."

"Well, maybe you need your good luck charm. I'll be at your next game," he says softly.

"That would be perfect," I say, kissing him once more.