Preventable Accident

Somber woke up as he heard the click of the lock unlocking before it fell to the ground. He darted to his paws before he regretted it and collapsed, gasping for breath. "What the-"

"It's alright," chided Grenade as he swung open the door. "It's just me."

Somber nodded his head and brought a paw over his muzzle to clear some of the sleep from his face. "How long has it been since-"

"Two days," replied Grenade as he leaped down, flinching a little bit at the jolt that surged through his body. "I thought that tonight you could use a little exercise."

Somber nodded. "Thanks." He hauled himself to his paws and half jumped, half fell onto the ground. He struggled to make it to his paws and Grenade pressed against him. Somber was thankful for his support although a cat wasn't the best thing he could be leaning on.

They arrived at Pallid, Whisper, and Ashen's cages. Somber let out a sharp bark and Ashen was the first one to stir.

"I knew it wouldn't be long before you came here," she joked, her eyes showing how tired she was. She was also eager though to leave this cage and stretch her aching legs.

"Then you know us all too well," teased Grenade as he first opened Pallid cage before he moved on to Ashen's cage and finally Whisper's cage. The three romped out, Whisper being the best since hadn't had a surgery recently.

"Well you've looked better," she taunted Pallid as she padded up to him purring. He purred in amusement and touched his nose to her ear.

"Well I have to keep up with you, now don't I," he shot back as his eyes lit in amusement.

Whisper lashed her tail against his still healing back and he hissed. She blinked her eyes innocently and all anger vanished from Pallid's eyes. Whisper darted forward and Pallid struggled after her but he fell numerous times, his back slamming against the ground and Ashen knew if she was Pallid she'd just stay down. However Pallid was determined. He kept getting up and pushing himself after Whisper in an effort to play.

"He does know he really shouldn't be doing that, right," asked Somber as he carried forward, his own back killing him. He had the exact same thing done to him that Ashen had done to her. He didn't actually have the heart to tell his sister that he had watched her surgery and it had digsuted him.

Grenade shrugged. "Yeah well those injections they gave you to begin with allow you to do more things and recovery time is quicker for the time being. Once the steroids ware off that's when you really have problems."

"What sort of problems," asked Ashen as she exchanged a glance with her brother.

Grenade looked over his shoulder and began walking backwards. He suddenly stood up on his hind legs and Ashen's eyes widened a bit. He started walking backwards like a Terran and Ashen wanted to say something but she didn't. She just kept her muzzle shut and realized how much they were turning into Terrans.

"Well once those steroids are our of your system you heal slower and the chances of injuries being more severe are higher. That's why every time you have a surgery they inject you with more stuff that I don't even know what it is. I think it's illegal experimental, new steroids," Grenade confessed, his eyes narrowing.

Ashen shivered. "A little disconcerting to know that experimental things are in my body," she grumbled as she wrinkled her muzzle.

Grenade chuckled. "Everything in your body right now is experimental and highly illegal," he pointed out before he turned, returning to his four legs which made Ashen feel better.

They all padded into the Social Circle and Ashen felt better already. Just the sight of other creatures, joking and laughing together made her feel like this was a community. Some played games or others told stories of their past lives. Some showed off their new markings or abilities while others just slept outside their crates.