Chapter 25 : Disbelief

Alexander's POV

Emmaline and Victor both looked at me in shock and froze in place, not knowing what to do, waiting for me to say something.

I was absolutely pissed, angry, and furious at her.

"Victor, tell the team that they can go home, then we're heading to my house."

"What did she say?" Emmaline eyed me carefully.

"She left something at my house." I gritted my teeth and walked straight to the driver's seat.

I checked my phone for the GPS of all my cars and found out that they were still all parked in my garage. It means either Vita yanked out the tracker from one of the cars and drove off, or she got one herself. Thoughts of how to find her consumed my mind and before I knew it, everyone was all set and I headed straight for my house, driving like the devil was nipping at my heels.

*

Emmaline and Victor were barely out of the car when I sprinted upstairs to my room. I saw my mother on the way, but didn't bother to stop and greet her.

Just like Vita told me, a folder was sitting neatly on the center of our bed waiting for me. As I took out the contents, the USB and her phone were there along with a few pieces of paper. On top of the papers, she had stuck a note.

Red,

Some things couldn't be said over the phone. I'm buying you time because I couldn't get into the USB. It was harder than I expected. Figure out what's in it. I also changed my parents' emergency contact to you. If I succeeded, you'll be receiving a call very soon.

And for our little bet, I think you won.

Stay safe,

Vita

The few pieces of paper were information on Efren Carter and their organization. There wasn't much, but it was a start. Like Vita told me, as I clicked the power button of her phone, it immediately opened to the home screen.

"I've never seen you run that fast in the house." There was amusement in my mother's voice, but I didn't have the heart to reply.

Instead, I turned around to look at her. As soon as she saw the expression I couldn't conceal, the amusement disappeared from her features.

"What's wrong, Alex?" She walked a little closer to me.

"Vita's gone," I steeled my voice and answered.

My mother narrowed her eyes at me in confusion. "What do you mean she's gone?"

I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth. "She offered herself to the enemy in exchange for her parents."

"What?!" My mother yelled and she quickly stopped her advancement towards me.

"I really should have known that she was going to pull this kind of stunt." I raked my fingers through my hair in frustration.

*

My mother, Victor, Emmaline and I were all in my living room, trying to understand what Vita had just done. I briefly explained that Vita had shot Efren Carter's younger brother, Cody Carter not long ago.

"She knew? Why didn't she tell us?" Emmaline looked really upset and on the verge of tears.

I couldn't listen to anyone as I picked up Vita's phone and searched through her contacts, calling the one person I knew could give me answers.