Chapter Five

Ylvir finished off the last of his breath, letting it die through the penny whistle and the note he left on, taking the song with it. He frowned, looking down to his long-time companion, Dandy who cocked her head at him, ruffling white feathers.

"I just feel like it's missing something," Ylvir complained to her. She bobbed her head in sympathy but made no sound.

Ylvir's beastly face contorted in serious thought as he scratched mindlessly at his head and the dark, velvety horns that had begun to sprout there with his sharp claws. As Ylvir grew older, he found his appearance only became more terrifying. His form broadened some with lean muscles, each of his wings the size of himself, his claws and spines and teeth grew longer and sharper, his scales hardened, and his fur and feathers slowly lost their youthful fluffiness as he molted and shed, which was quite the ordeal for him to clean. But his mother repeatedly assured him that he was still as soft and warm as the day he was born.

"I want to go to the village," he said suddenly with his gravelly voice, determination glimmering in his red eyes. Dandy squawked and fluttered her wings wildly in answer.

"I know. I remember perfectly well what happened last time," he replied, rubbing a clawed finger against the disfigured scales on his stomach. "But I want to do something different. I don't think I can stand doing the same things over and over much longer. It's boring here. I want an adventure."

The chicken clucked at him. He rolled his eyes.

"Of course they wouldn't approve. That's why I'll sneak out."

Dandy made more chicken sounds, occasionally flapping a wing or cocking her head to the side for emphasis.

"I'll wear a disguise," Ylvir answered. "It doesn't have to be a good one. Probably a cloak or something. I don't plan on interacting with them, so it shouldn't matter. I just want to see what they do with their time. I want to know how different it is. I want to see if it's anything like the books."

Dandy had no reply for him for some time until she pecked the forest floor around him then cocked her head so one eye looked directly at him.

"The next time Dad makes his trip. It's the perfect opportunity."

She scratched the ground with her talons and clucked more, giving a tiny flutter of her wings.

"That's just rude," he disapproved, but with humor held in his eyes, then continued. "I'll hide in the cart. He won't see me. I'll make sure of it."

"Ylvir!"

Ylvir's sharp ears twitched at the sound of his mother's voice. He sniffed the air curiously, then looked down on his friend. "Guess it's time for dinner then. Smells like bread and soup. Come on then. Let's get back."

He jumped from the low hanging branch he crouched on, landing softly on the mulched forest floor with a whoosh of his sizable wings. He gently picked Dandy up, carrying her with one arm. She flapped her own white wings and gave him a questioning cluck as he trod his way back to his home, his figure hunched slightly so that his dark, feathery appendages wouldn't drag on ground behind him and collect damp leaves, twigs and dirt as they were prone to do.

"What? No, it's not chicken," he laughed at the hen, lying to her. She could tell he wasn't being honest and promptly gave an indignant peck at the arm that held her, making him nearly lose his hold on her. "Ow! Alright, it is. Are you happy? Why do even care? It's not like it's someone you know."

She squawked at him with fury, thoroughly berating him. "You're right. I'm sorry I was so inconsiderate. But what do you want me to do? You remember what happened the last time I tried to hold off on meat. It was nearly you that ended up in my stomach. I don't have any choice in whether I eat it, but I can decide where it comes from, and I'd much rather it be a chicken I don't know than one I do."