Chapter Twelve

Ylvir felt rejuvenated. He hefted his pack and checked his shoulder for Dandy who was twisting her head about, observing the sunlit forest clearing as she hadn't been able to before. Ylvir turned to face the woman who had helped him so much.

"Thank you, Lynelda," he said with a small, bittersweet smile, for that was what their encounter was; bittersweet.

He had learned her name, feeling it unfair that she only knew his. She had inquired after his parents, and he gradually began to enjoy giving her the details of his childhood. He asked other questions of his own as well. He learned that the things she wore on her face were 'spectacles'. He thought it fitting since they were a spectacle indeed. He had also asked if she was a druid—a guardian of the forest—to which she responded with a cackle and a "they wish!", offering no more than that.

His final question had been whether she was serious in giving him a direction, to which she responded with a look and a drawing out of a map. She was very serious indeed. In the end, they had concurred that it would be most fitting for him to head towards a bustling port in the west called Tigo Bay. Peoples of all kinds gathered there to trade and mingle. He would see little bits of the world gathered in one place. Not only this, but the journey there would take him to all kinds of landscapes he had only read and dreamed of previously, but with each landscape came its own set of dangers. Lynelda did seem to have some faith in him, but she also advised him in the ways to circumnavigate the dangers that awaited.

Ylvir may have learned troubling things from the mysterious woman, but she had been more than helpful in the end, and Ylvir couldn't be more grateful.

She gave her own characteristically mischievous smile in return to his thanks. "Honestly, it's the least I could do."

Ylvir merely nodded, but before turning and leaving to his new destination, he decided to impart his own gift.

"Would you mind if I played you a song?" he asked her, pulling his instrument out from his pocket.

Her expression morphed into one of mild surprise. "Course not. Go ahead."

Ylvir places the whistle up to his lips, closing his eyes. He took a deep meditative breath, the exhaled, weaving a song with his rough fingers as they danced purposefully over the warm metal. He created a tapestry with the threading notes, eliciting vivid imagery and emotions that swelled and deepened as according to their encounter. He expressed his shock and confusion at his origin, his terror and sorrow toward his grim fate, his trepidation and hope for the times to come, but mostly he expressed his gratitude to the woman who warned him and showed him the way.

The song ended on the same note as his parting with his parents. Not quite a goodbye, but a parting that perhaps could turn to a chance meeting once more, should their fates commend it. An 'until next time'.

Ylvir opened his eyes, taking in the sight of the woman as her eyes sparkled with something other than playfulness.

"Are you alright?" he asked her unsurely.

"Hm? Oh, drat. Where's my vial," she mumbled to herself as she patted her person down, then pulled out a small crystal vial, holding it up to her eyes to catch the tears as she sniffled. "Haven't done that in a long time. That was marvelous, Ylvir. You could go professional, you know."

Ylvir scoffed and then laughed wryly. "Yes. That's likely."

Lynelda gave him a soft smile. "I know things don't look so bright right now, Ylvir, but I know that you will find true happiness one day. You may bear this curse alone, but all curses are made to be broken. Just remember to keep an open mind, and more importantly, an open heart."

Ylvir blinked, having no response to her cryptic words.

She made a shooing motion with her hands. "Best get along now if you want to make it through the forest before nightfall."

Ylvir nodded, turning around then looking back and waving. "Until next time."

"Yes, yes," she waved him off, then suddenly called back again with, "Ylvir, wait!"

He was at the tree line when he turned again, confusion lining his furry features. "What is it?"

She bit her lip unsurely before saying, "Try visiting your parents sometime soon. They worry about you."

He gave her a strange look at the obvious concern she showed. "I will."

She nodded slowly, but the concern stayed. "Until next time, Ylvir."

Dandy flapped her wings, crowing. Lynelda smiled. "And Dandy, too, of course. Good luck to you both."

They went their separate ways, Lynelda to her hut and Ylvir towards the bay.

Lynelda mumbled to herself as she limped back into her rocking chair.

"Perhaps I should give his parents a visit," she murmured speculatively. "No, I don't think they'd like that. Well, maybe Aloris, but Reul's more likely to skin me alive than welcome me with open arms. Still, it would be nice to say goodbye."

Lynelda sighed, drawing her old, ragged quilt about her shoulders. "I think Ylvir will be alright. He should come across Grey Castle. Should that work out, I don't see much else that could go wrong."

She rocked the chair, letting the steady creaks lull her into a deep sleep. "Then again, I have been wrong before..."