Chapter Eleven

Ylvir shifted uncomfortably, not from his position, but from the woman's inquisitive stare, enlarged by the glass discs before them. Though as uncomfortable as it made him, he could not help but feel a strange familiarity with her that eased his cautious mind. He wasn't sure what it was about her. It was almost as if he had met her before, though he could not recall anything about it no matter how hard he thought on it.

"What do you want to know?" he quietly asked in return to her own question.

She smiled. "Well, a good place to start might be what brings you to the forest. Maybe you could explain the chicken while you're at it."

"Dandy? She just wanted to come with me. It's normal for her to do as she pleases, and this time it was traveling with me," he shrugged from the floor.

"So why are you traveling?"

Ylvir averted his gaze. "I felt that it was time."

She said nothing for some time, simply rocking leisurely in her chair. Then she asked, "If I might ask, where is it you're heading?"

Ylvir's strange features twisted as best they could into a rueful smile. "Your guess is as good as mine."

She gave her own mischievous smile. "I could point you in a few directions."

Ylvir perked up. "Really? You would do that?"

"Of course. Nothing I wouldn't do for Aloris and Reul's boy."

Ylvir bristled at those words, hackles rising, and caution taking over his mind. "How do you know who I am?" he asked slowly and carefully.

"Well, for starters, there's that pretty little necklace your wearing. Almost didn't see it through all the fur. Belonged to your mother, right? Then there's also the matter that I would recognize my own handiwork anywhere."

Ylvir, touched the necklace which had hung very loosely around his mother's but was tighter against his own. "You made this?"

"The necklace?" she laughed heartily, then shook her head, white curls bouncing with the motion. "Certainly not. I couldn't jewel craft to save my life. No, dear. The fact is it was you that I made."

Ylvir stared at her blankly. "What?"

She frowned slightly, brows furrowing as she leaned in to examine his features. "Your parents never told you, did they?"

"Tell me what?" Ylvir asked with utter confusion that was slowly turned to dread, as he leaned away from her.

The woman merely nodded and sighed, leaning back. "Figures they wouldn't tell you about me. Probably was for your own good. Shoulda kept my mouth shut."

"Miss, what are you talking about?" he asked with rising fear, cutting through her rambling.

Her eyes snapped to his. "Your parents could not conceive."

The sudden revelation brought his mounting fear to a dead stop. "What?"

She sighed again. "They could not conceive. By the time they came to me, they were at their last hope. They had gone from doctor, to medicine woman, to alchemist, and any other person who they thought might help them find a way. Searching for me was a last resort. Always is. But I did not give them what they wanted. I dashed their last hopes away when I told them it would be impossible for them to conceive."

Ylvir was slightly more relaxed, but no less confused. "But—"

"Relax, I'm getting there," she cut him off and silenced him with a hand. "It really was sad to see your parents in such a state at that news. Your mother wouldn't stop crying, and when your father wasn't consoling her, he was cursing me. Then your mother started begging me. She begged and begged that all she wanted was a child of her own, one to love and care for and hold and raise—the usual things you want with a child. Your father didn't say anything, but I could see he wanted it, too. He just let your mother do all the talking. I—being the softie I am—was so touched by their love and their unhindered desire that I decided to give them what they wanted. For better or worse. I had a talking to with the Great Spirits, they gave the go ahead—lots of blood and a great deal of dirt later, you were born. Did not get the thanks I was expecting, but I suppose they didn't get what they were expecting either. Probably had something different in mind when I told them I could give them a child."