Chapter Thirty-Two

Two days had passed, and already Ylvir was regretting his deal to keep the man there.

Erdim and the others had questioned him mercilessly after the deal had been made, clearly astonished by what they had overheard. Not only was an invader staying in the castle for the first time in years, but they heard a girl was coming. This news excited them to no end. It was practically unheard of for a girl to come to the castle, which only piqued their curiosity as to what kind of girl she would have to be not only to come to the castle, but for the cold-hearted Ylvir to want her there.

Of course, Ylvir avoided their questions blatantly, feeling no desire nor obligation to answer them. When his silence proved insufficient, he eventually warded them off with a threatening growl, deciding he'd had enough. That didn't stop their curiosity by any means, but at least they stopped bothering him about it, keeping their speculations amongst themselves.

What they didn't keep to themselves was their mistrust of the man who now roamed the castle's halls, particularly for the way he did it, with wandering eyes and a predatory step. In this, Ylvir agreed with them wholeheartedly. There was something very disagreeable about the man Ylvir couldn't quite place, aside from his brazenness. A gut feeling that repulsed him and had him keeping his senses on high alert at all times. Perhaps it was because of how easily the deal had been made. How easily the man had been willing to hand over his daughter without knowing her fate for simple monetary gain. Perhaps because he had asked so few questions and accepted the terms without hesitation.

But he had asked questions, at the very least. Maybe Ylvir's instincts were just making him unreasonably paranoid, but they were seldom wrong, and never without cause. He was always sure to keep careful tabs on the man, never letting him stray too far from his senses.

What also irritated Ylvir as time passed was that the girl continued not to show. The man had guessed as much would happen, but for some reason, some part Ylvir hadn't believed him at the time. Of course, he knew it was foolish to think so now. After all, how different could she be from her father?

It was as his irritation began to nettle him that he growled out his frustration.

"Where is she," he asked no one in particular, pounding on the stone floor.

"Er, sir," a timid voice spoke up unexlectedly from behind.

Ylvir turned to face the gnarled man that quivered where he stood. "What is it?"

"W-well, it's just that...you see..."

"Spit it out," Ylvir said firmly.

"Yes, well I just thought that maybe the miss don't know 'er old man's here exactly, and she don't know to come, so why would she, see," Branneg said in a rush, panting by the time he was through.

Ylvir paused. The man had a point. His chest rumbled with anger at himself for not thinking of it. Branneg, unaware the rumble was directed towards its own source began trembling more forcefully that a small leaf in a storm.

"Sorry, sir. Terribly sorry. Shoulda kept me mouth shut," he muttered apologetically. "I-it won't happen again, I--"

"You go out into the port, do you not," Ylvir's gravelly voice interrupted his rambling.

"Er, yes sir," he said hesitantly.

"Would you take a message?"

Branneg straightened himself, though he still quivered. "Yessir. Where to sir?"

Ylvir hummed thoughtfully, though it turned unpleasant as he realised he would have to interact with that man again.

"Bring the man to me first," he said bitterly.