Ch.9 Cooking

Qing Yu's punishment went into effect immediately.
That day during lunch Qing Yu had to report to the kitchen to help out the kitchen ladies. They mostly prepare the food in advance in the morning so when he got there that day there was no more cooking left to do, which Qing Yu found unfortunate.

In his previous life both his parents worked so it was up to him to take care of the house and his little brother, meaning all the chores fell onto him, including cooking. He had tried to cook in the Meng Residence in this life but when he did the servants went into complete panic that their Master was doing such menial tasks. Qing Yu had to give up trying to cook as the servants looked like they would forfeit their lives if he continued.

The main lady in charge of kitchen duties was a round middle aged woman called Auntie Li. She had no inside voice and every time she talked the whole cafeteria would be able to hear it. Which was bad considering she is also a notorious gossipmonger. She had assigned Qing Yu to wash the dishes. Qing Yu, being a little overwhelmed by her over the top personality, obediently went to the basin to start his punishment.

As he was doing that, he suddenly remembered a detail from <Cold Immortal Soul>. In an effort to bully Lan Yun, Sheng Hua's lackey had used Sheng Hua's status as headmaster's Son to threaten the kitchen ladies to serve Sheng Hua half of a normal person's portion worth of the worst food. When Qing Yu first read about this he clenched his teeth so hard and cursed the fictional characters for bullying his beloved fictional character.

But to him then it was just part of Lan Yun's trials and tribulations. Though he was mad he didn't think much of it. But now, he realised a crucial point. This is a real world and Lan Yun is not just an omnipotent protagonist but a real child. When Qing Yu came into terms with that he felt his heart clench painfully. Lan Yun was alone in this world, unjustly hated and bullied to the point of malnutrition. Qing Yu had a loving family and couldn't imagine how Lan Yun must feel. How he must spend nights on his bed, clutching his stomach, trying to ignore the hunger pangs, knowing that no one in the world was by his side.

Qing Yu's eyes burned, before steeling with determination. After he had finished his duties he could go get lunch himself, however instead of heading to the cafeteria, Qing Yu lingered behind awkwardly, trying to find the right time to talk to Auntie Li. She was whispering with one of the kitchen ladies, meaning everyone in the cafeteria could hear what they were talking about. Qing Yu and everyone else really didn't need or want to know the details of Teacher Ping's leg fetish.

Qing Yu found a time to cut in when Auntie Li finally stopped to take a breath.

Qing Yu: "Umm... Auntie Li? Can I borrow the kitchen and use the leftover ingredients? Please?"

Qing Yu tried fluttering his lashes, his doe eyes peeking from beneath them. The technique worked like a charm as he could see Auntie Li soften. Being a kid has some perks you know! Auntie Li was surprised that a young master would want to step into the kitchen. She had thought he was only here because of his punishment. Well, the kid did his duties diligently and was obedient so Auntie Li had a favourable impression of Qing Yu. So Auntie Li agreed under the conditions that he would clean up after himself and that he would allow her to supervise in case something went wrong.

Qing Yu was ecstatic and immediately went to look at the available ingredients. They had handmade noodles for lunch today so there was some extra dough left over which he could use. Fresh Vegetables that would be discarded tomorrow were also set inside a wooden bowl. Qing Yu bumped a fist into his open palm. He knew what to make now.

A/N: I'm truly sorry I know absolutely nothing about cooking. I burnt a hole through a cloth once. And I wasn't even the one cooking.
P.S don't try this recipe unless you're using it for poison. I literally made it up just now.