Chapter 2

Rostov and I stuck together so we'd be put into the same group. We ended up sitting in on some surprisingly comfortable chairs that faced the way we came in. A ceiling-mounted TV was playing live feed from the Visoko Luka shipyard's commissioning hall, specifically in the upper levels which are reserved for television crews. I couldn't quite get a view of the Valiant in spacedock, but Valdera could be seen, just slightly.

"Wonder what the hold up is," I said, to Rostov. "I'm hoping we're not late."

"I think we might be a little ahead of schedule, actually. There's probably been some complication with... something, and they need to iron it out. Probably."

Like in the Maglev station, everyone went silent when possibly one of the tallest desert cas i had ever seen stepped in front of the door. They were wearing the Navy fatigues, but with a yellow high-visibility vest on. "Your attention, please!" Thankfully, the expeditionary was nowhere to be seen.

"Alright, everyone. If you can't tell already, wind speeds are reaching fifty-four knots. Now, we're on the outer edge of the storm, and the weathermen are saying that it should be over soon, but we've got a schedule to keep. The magstorm has weakened, for the most part, and shuttlecraft are now good to fly. When these doors open, we need you to just... run. Preferably, as quickly as possible to your designated shuttlecraft. Stage left, head for the closest shuttlecraft. Direct center to... well, direct center. Hopefully, you get the gist."

"But sir, what if I didn't pass basic?" someone yelled in an exaggerated accent. It resulted in intermittent laughter throughout the rooms.

"Oh, you're a funny one, aren't you?" he sighed. "Good luck to all of you except for whoever that was!"

The glass doors opened and we were immediately treated with the near deafening sound of wind and rain coming in through the doors.

"Let's move!" someone yelled. The first group scrambled to get out the door, all the while laughing and cheering as they ran to their designated shuttlecraft. When our turn came to leave, what had looked like a short 30-second run suddenly looked like a 5-hour marathon. It suddenly dawned on me that the shuttle pad layout being more analogous to an airport terminal would be very useful in the current situation. I had read somewhere that there were plans to build a sort of jet bridge to connect to shuttlecraft, but when I did, it was late at night, and I was in some dark corner of the internet.

I sprinted outside, nearly getting blown over by the wind. I leapt up the steps into the shuttlecraft. A cheetah who looked like the one that got spooked on the maglev gave me a victory high-five before letting me pass. After finding a seat in the back, I set my duffelbag under the chair and sat down, and then watched as the last group made a break for it, attempting to get to their shuttle as quickly as possible. I was surprised when an especially strong sudden gust of wind rocked the shuttle, but, more importantly, blew over most of the people running out. I tried to get a view of the staircase from inside the shuttle, but it was obscured by the painted bear who had suddenly come and sat down in front of me.

Rostov was the second to last passenger to board. I held back a laugh when I saw how he had been absolutely drenched in the rain, becoming far more soaked than I had ever been. When he sat down, I asked, "What happened to you, man?" imitating the voice of a character from Carius Base. "For real, though, that was some nasty wind."

"Yep. Nothing but nast," he returned, also imitating a Carius Base character.

"Sounds pleasant. You, uh... do you want the window seat?"

"Yeah, that'd be nice." We quickly switched seats. After we swapped seats, a jackal wearing their Navy fatigues stepped out with a clipboard. He had a deep accent that I could barely understand, but was easily identifiable as the rather distinct, to say the least, Kielcian.

"Alright, everyone. I'm Warrant Officer Dvorak, and I'll be your copilot this fine, fine morning. Now, I don't mean to play the 'mean old guy from Trnava' stereotype, but Navy regulations would have me skinned if I did not run through the rules. Of course, this stuff is common sense. No open-top drinks, fasten your seatbelt at all times, keep personal electronics off, do not breach hermetic seal while in upper atmosphere and above, all that good stuff."