The Norse God

"I don't how I picked it up, all right?" I said for the tenth time.

We were sitting inside the security room, observing the footage. I was surprised to see myself, walking to the hammer, talking to thin air and then getting suspended in the air magically. So, those guys really couldn't see him. But, towards the end, after I had hit him with the hammer, he appeared on the footage, only for a second, but long enough to prove he was there.

I remember what he called himself- 'Loki'. He was another Norse God, wasn't he? The evil one. I kept this information to myself. I had been ridiculed enough about Thor's hammer.

As for the hammer, others still couldn't lift it. But when I lifted it didn't feel like more than 2 pounds.

"Maybe it can only be lifted by women. Some sort of DNA fingerprinting." I offered.

"No. Agent 13 had tried to lift it. And she's a lot stronger than you." Sitwell countered.

"I don't know, then." I gave up. Honestly, I wasn't even interested. "So, are you going to let me psych-evaluate our prisoner, or not? I asked Coulson. I really wanted to have a chance to talk to him. The way he had looked at me a few minutes ago, it seemed that he knew something about all this.

"There is no need to psych-evaluate him right now." Agent Coulson denied my request.

"But according to SHIELD protocol 91, a non-hostile prisoner is supposed to psych-evaluated, if his identity isn't confirmed......"

"There are more pressing matters right now." He cut me off.

"I can't help you in those pressing matters. What I can do and am qualified to do is a psychological evaluation, which I'm going to do right now." Saying this I started walking towards the glassed room, hoping I wouldn't be stopped.

I wasn't. So far, so good.

I opened the door and went inside. They had him handcuffed, but he got down to his knees before speaking," My lady, I apologise for not being able to properly greet the soul worthy of Mjolnir."

I blinked twice. It took me a moment to recompose myself. This was one crazy day.

He didn't seem to notice my awkwardness. "Allow me to introduce myself. I'm...."

"Thor?" I guessed. "The god of thunder?"

I remembered Sitwell's remark 'The god of thunder coming to reclaim his hammer.'

"I'm not a god." He replied, smiling. "Our people certainly have a much longer life span than humans and are undeniably much stronger, but the ancient Norsemen exaggerated our powers a little too much."

I nodded trying to look calm. At this point, after everything I had seen today, I was very much inclined to believe that.

"Why couldn't you lift the hammer?" I asked.

"It can only be lifted by the worthy. I have proved myself unworthy by starting a war between two worlds." He replied, looking ashamed.

Okay. There were more worlds now.

"That man who tried to kill me, he said he was Loki. Was is true?"

He nodded. "He is my brother. He wants to be king of Asgard. That can only be possible on the event of my death. He came here to claim the power of the hammer and use it against me. He failed. Now he would use some other means to achieve his goals. He would take your hit lightly, too." He told me, grimly.

I was about ask something else when I heard a loud crash. Looking outside the window, I saw a giant metallic humanoid form on the dessert landscape. Was it some new version of Tony Stark's Iron man?

"The Destroyer." Thor said. "You'll have to release me now."

"I can't...." I began.

"Listen to me. Loki isn't going to stop until he gets what he wants. Lives will be lost." He looked at me intently.

"Screw it." I groaned.

I stole the keys from the unsuspecting guard. Everyone was too busy with the new development on the scene to notice me releasing Thor. After thanking me he ran towards the direction of the Destroyer. I had no idea how he was planning to stop it.

By now everyone had noticed that he had escaped. Agent Coulson looked at me accusingly, but didn't say anything.

Thor had stopped running and was 20 feet away from the Destroyer.

"Loki." He shouted. "This is between you and me. Destroy me if you wish. But the humans are innocent. Spare them."

That was his plan!? He was the fake god of thunder for god's sake! But if this act didn't prove him worthy, I didn't know what would.

The destroyer held his open hand towards Thor. If I had learnt anything by watching that Iron man footage on television last night, it was that now Thor was going to be blasted by a laser.

I quickly grabbed the big gun lying next to me in the clearing, ran a few metres and took a shot at the destroyer. It turned out to be a bazooka.

Unfortunately, it's blast didn't even scratch the metal giant. More importantly, now his hand was pointing right at me.

As soon as it fired, someone pushed me out of the way. "Are you out of your mind?" Agent Coulson shouted beside me.

I opened my mouth to thank him, when something wooshed past us. The next thing I saw was Thor, flying up in sky with his hammer in his hand. The destroyer was flying in pursuit. Then, there was a blinding flash of lightening followed by thunder, and both of them had vanished.

Everyone was looking at the sky, open mouthed.

I got up and dusted myself. "Well, it was quite a day, wasn't it?" I said walking towards the car in which we had come here.