The Wedding

"I'm scared." I said. I truly was. My heart was racing like a hummingbirds.

"Wanna bail?" came Tony's reply. I looked at him. He looked serious.

That was when the music started to play. I took a deep breath and put a firm foot forward. Turned out my hands weren't as firm. They were shaking.

"You okay?" he was concerned this time.

"I'm fine." I managed to squeak.

I tried to move my feet, but they wouldn't move. Tony had to drag me a few steps till the corner. A few of the guests in the last seats began whispering.

And then I saw him. I hadn't seen him in two days. Stupid wedding customs. But now when I saw him, it felt like I was seeing him for the first time. He was wearing a tuxedo. His eyes, perfect blue with a little bit of green, staring intently at me. All I wanted to do at that moment was to go to him. So, I started walking, maybe a little too fast for the music. Tony constantly had to slow me down.

Finally, I reached him. Tony put my hand in his and walked back. I was there with him. I barely noticed when the pastor began speaking. We had decided not to speak vows. We didn't need to tell the world how much we loved each other. We only needed to tell each other.

I couldn't help but notice, how perfect his lips were, when they moved to say 'I do '.

His expressions changed. He was looking at me expectantly. Perhaps it was my turn.

"I do" I murmured, my eyes never leaving his.

"........ Pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride now." I heard indistinctly.

He gently placed his hand on my cheek cupping it lightly. No sooner his lips touched me and molded into mine. It was such a light touch. It wasn't enough. I wanted more of him. After what seemed like two seconds he pulled away. I was left longing.

..............................................................
It was already evening. I was dancing with my husband on the tune of 'A thousand years'. His hands were on my waist and mine on his shoulder. I noticed the difference in the way he touched me now. Earlier it was hesitant, controlled. Now it was so easy, so casual, so enthralling.

"What are you thinking, Mrs. Rogers?" he whispered into my ear. I blushed at the name.

"This is going to take some getting used to." I told him, smiling, as the song ended.

Tony walked up to us. "May I cut in?" he asked, already reaching for my hand. Steve gracefully walked away.

Leona Lewis' 'I got you' began playing. No other song could suit us better.

"What's wrong?" I asked, nothing the troubled look on his face.

"Nothing." He said.

I raised an eyebrow. Nobody could read Tony better than I did. Over the years I had learned to recognize all the subtle signs on his face.

"It's just..... " he hesitated. " You were so scared while walking in. And then when you saw him you forgot everything else. I want that. I want someone to look at me the way you look at Steve."

I felt really bad for him. He hadn't been exactly well after his recent break up with Pepper. It had been messy. I knew he loved her.

"I'm sure you'll find someone." I told him.

"Really? When? I'm 46." He argued.

"Well, Steve is a hundred and two." I countered.

He half-smiled. "That is a good point."

Soon I heard the commotion. "Is there a doctor here?" I heard someone shout.

We walked towards the corner where the crowd had gathered.

It was Mr. Simons, Managing director of Stark Industries. He was choking, with barely any noise escaping his throat. I noticed his fingertips turning blue.

"Get me a knife, some vodka and a straw." I told Tony. He went quickly without any questions.

"He is allergic to peanuts. I forgot to bring his medication." Mrs. Simons sobbed.

"Everyone clear out." I ordered. The bride was gone now. The doctor was here. "Someone call 911."

I quickly started working on him, trying everything I could think of- back blows, salbutamol, abdominal thrusts. Finally when his lips started turning blue, I looked at Tony. He had already put the knife in the vodka, sterilizing it. Steve was there beside him, looking at me apologetically. I gave him a half smile. It wasn't his fault someone choked at our wedding.

I turned towards my patient. I wasn't nervous. I had performed this procedure at least a dozen times. I easily found the cricothyroid cartilage, made the cut and carefully inserted the straw into his trachea.

Almost immediately his condition began to improve. The ambulance also arrived at the moment. The paramedics took over and I looked down at my wedding gown. It was splattered with blood.

Steve put his arm around me. "You saved his life." He said in admiration.

"I'll have to go to the hospital with them. You should stay here."

He opened his mouth to protest but I stopped him. "It's our wedding. One of us has to stay."

He nodded. I kissed him on his cheek and whispered in his ear, "I'll see you tonight."

He was blushing when I walked away.

............................................................

I was standing at the door of our room. I couldn't believe I was scared again.

It was Steve inside. The person whom I loved most in this world. I brought myself to open the door. He was standing at the window looking outside, his back was towards me. He turned when he heard me. His eyes looked so calm and serene, like lake water. I wasn't scared anymore.

He walked up to me and kissed me. This time it was fierce, completely in contrast with how calm his eyes were. This time he didn't leave me longing.