The Consultant

"But why does it always have to be me?" I asked.

"Because he's got a soft spot for you. He might just say 'yes'." Answered Agent Coulson. This time he was not the one who betrayed me. It was Agent Romanoff. She told the Director about my resemblance to Tony's sister.

"I'll have to fly all the to Miami for this." I protested.

"You'll get research opportunities if you pull this off, remember that." He told me.

I remembered that as I entered Tony's lab at his mansion in Miami. He was working on a new Iron man suit.

Really? How many does he need? I thought to myself as I saw the display with its recent addition of Mark 15.

I almost squealed when he shot a laser from his robotic hand, tearing to wall next to me. "Oh my god! Be careful, please."

"Great thing are not achieved by being careful." He said. "Another follow up visit?"

"No, this is a non-medical visit." Though, I was observing his health subconsciously. He looked much better, no longer pale, the thrombophlebitis had disappeared. Looked like the alloy was working perfectly.

"Nick Fury has turned you into his errand girl, hasn't he?"

"Maybe he thinks you might think twice before blowing me up with that laser." I joked.

"I might. So, what is this about?" he was curious.

"Well, SHIELD has launched an Avengers Initiative. You know, bringing together the world's 'heroes' in case they are needed to avoid some major disaster."

"So, they want me to join? Uh, okay, but I have some conditions...." He began.

"That's the thing. You did not clear the evaluation. According to the report you are impulsive and not a team player...."

"When the hell was I even evaluated? Who evaluated me?" He looked genuinely shocked.

"Agent Romanoff. She was undercover as your secretary, Natalie Rushman."

"That b****."

"Language." I warned him.

"Sorry." He said. "But they sent you here. That means they want be for something."

"Yes, they want you to be a consultant."

"A consultant?"

"Yes, for the tech stuff and occasionally for the superhero stuff, if they need you."

He just looked at me blankly. "Would you lose your job if I say 'no'?"

"Would you say 'yes' I would?"

"Just tell me."

"No, I won't lose my job. But I might get some pretty exciting research opportunities if you say 'yes'." I looked at him with my puppy dog eyes.

He sighed. "All right. I assume you have an assignment for me now."

"You assume right." He actually said 'yes'. Wow. "It's more of a request than an assignment. The World Security Council considers Blonsky a candidate for the Avengers Initiative. He is currently in captivity of General Ross. Director Fury wants you to talk to Ross and retrieve Blonsky for SHIELD."

"So, the Abomination is an ideal candidate for this thing, and I'm not? Who are they recruiting superheroes or supervillains?"

"Hey, I didn't do the sorting." I defended myself. "And I've heard you outdid yourself pissing off the World Security Council."

"Okay, so how am I supposed to talk to him? Use some code language, manipulate him, prepare a presentation?"

"Oh no. Just be yourself." I told him.

"All right, then. I'll just be myself."

I smiled. If Tony would really be himself, there was no freakin' way Ross would hand over Blonsky to SHIELD, exactly as Fury had wanted.

He couldn't directly refuse the World Security Council, could he?