uno | HUMANS & HONEY

- - A/N - -

This is a bit of a chapter that settles the story.

Bree's point of view is a little different than, say, Nadine and my usuals. Most of them are very fiery or sweet, Bree's pov is very... stoic and lacks emotion. That is for a reason and not just because of lazy writing lol.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

- - -

           AN ANNOYED sigh broke out beside me

I turned, one eyebrow raised at Marga. Their oldest waitress, Marga had been born and bred for this town with her tugged white hair in a ponytail and nails in a permanent shade of red. She smelled like citrus and smoke, even though she quit the cigarettes about five years now.

Marga caught her questioning look and tilted her chin forward. At the entrance of our little home base, Mo's, popular for serving grease on a platter, six to seven men came inside, laughing roguishly among themselves. They wore similar caps, beards and plaids like a little pack of truckers.

"More recruits," Marga muttered distastefully as she finished another round of extra coffee. Even during dinner, our little hub never ran out of coffee to serve or customers who wanted them, despite it being 9 o'clock already. "I hear they're getting paid for it. Hunting down those poor creatures. Rich people make me sick."

Elise pursed her lips as she listened in, her tray filled to the brim with thick steaks. Nothing fresher than getting your steaks from a diner that has connections with the local hunters. "Deers or wolves?"

Jeff, the cook, popped his head out the kitchen window and laughed. Through that small opening, grease wafted and popped. Bacon, steaks, tossed capers... anything that could be grilled and cooked, Jeff made them waist deep in the heat and grease without much preamble from years working with the familiar pan. "Werewolves, kid. They're hunting down half breeds."

Elise's eyes popped. "What?"

"Stop scaring her, Jeff," Marga grumbled. Elise wasn't like us - she was merely stepping in on her mother's job. Eva was sick and money was scarce between the two of them. Eva would normally forgo with the job if her cough hadn't been severe enough for the local doc to tell her to take it easy, so Elise took in a few shifts.

She was still a little wobbly as she walked, like a little deer still new to the world - a description that really isn't far- but common folks knew her and her smile was nice. She was polite and good enough at the job.

She was also easily frightened.

"There's nothin' to be scared about, kid," Jeff continued, his voice friendly and distant, like stating an offhand comment. He was wildly careless that way. "That's why the hunters are there. Paid to make the town a little bit safer."