due | HANDCUFFS & WEREWOLVES

A/N:

Because this book will only be 12 chapters - Christmas story - some chapters will most likely be lengthy. Like this one. 3.3k. But with Christmas, I guess, the more the merrier?

Also yes, the little red riding hood tie in was so obvious. But how many can you spot exactly? Let's make this a game.

Hope you enjoy, vote + comment at your expense :-)

- - -

MY SHIFT ended 12 o'clock on the dot.

As I untangle my apron, Jeff already gone in his coughing Buick, Marga twisted the keys as she waited for me to grab my bag. She raised an eyebrow while Elise rubbed her eyes, leaning against the door as they both waited up. One impatient and unsure, one half asleep.

"You sure you don't want to carpool with us, hon?"

This too was an often query even with the amount of times I've declined. "You both live on the other side of town and I have my bike. I'll be fine. Thank you though."

"It's late, Bree." Elise released a tired yawn. "And it's cold out."

"And you live pretty far, hon," Marga added with a raised eyebrow. "You live in the woods. Plenty of predators around."

I shook my head, tugging the keys from her as I approached. "I'll lock up instead. I'm closer here anyway. I've gone back and forth in these roads and I've never been attacked. I'll be fine." My face almost curled at how many times I've already said 'I'm fine' like a mantra. "You both live in town and that's nearly five miles, you guys should get going if you want to get there before the wolves start to howl."

Elise's eyes popped, her exhaustion down the drain. "Howl?"

Marga gave me a dirty look, I bit back a smile. Now there was really no choice for them but to leave me alone since if they hauled me with them, they would have to go through the woods and poor Elise would have a small heart attack at every little sound.

And the forest preyed on the weak minded.

"Be careful then, hon. But if you do get approached by the big bad wolf, try not to trade fangs? And especially if he's gorgeous." She whistled as she laughed lightly at her joke, hips swaying to a beat only she could hear as she left.

Elise, now much more awake, fidgeted as she approached me. She was sixteen, blonde hair in a tangled mess coming close to the hem of her skirt that is twisted into one big braid. When she looked up, her big, green eyes were earnest. "Thank you for earlier. With the hunters. You didn't have to do all of that..."