Chapter 5

*Knock Knock*

„Come in." she hears his voice coming from the inside of his room.

Donna slowly opens his door.

„Oh hey Donn." he greets her with a warm smile, when he spots her in the doorframe.

„Heyy.." she replies and gives him a smile, too.

This is going to be hard.

„What's wrong?" he asks, sensing immediately that she's not completely okay.

„Harv..I think we need to talk." she admits and sits down on his bed.

„Okay, what's up?" he replies and turns towards her.

She looks so small and vulnerable, it breaks his heart to see her this way.

Donna is quiet for a while.

„I think we should end this." she whispers.

Harvey can literally feel his heart sink into his stomach.

What?" he replies shocked.

„I don't think there is any good coming out of this..." Donna explains and looks at him.

„Really? Now that David turns out to be a complete ass you wanna stop this?!" he says, getting louder with every word.

„No..it's not because of that." Donna replies and wants to take his hands into her own.

It causes both of them to shiver.

Harvey tears himself from her, before speaking up again.

„Why then? Please, tell me, because I don't understand this!" Harvey shouts, while standing up.

„Can't you see what it's doing to us? We are fighting!" Donna screams into his face, a soft tear running down her cheek.

He wants to wipe it away so bad and just hug her, but he is still angry with her.

„No, I can't, after all we are fighting because of you!" Harvey replies.

„Why didn't I see this coming?! Of course you wouldn't understand.." Donna murmurs, more to herself than to Harvey.

„Yeah, you are right. I don't understand it!" Harvey says, a little calmer, again.

„Can't you see that it would destroy us..our friendship?" Donna replies quietly, looking down at her hands.

She normally is such a powerful woman, who knows how to stand up for herself, but whenever she is with him, she feels so vulnerable and small.

„Why would it?! We are a good team and like I said a few days ago, I am in love with Scottie and you are in love with David!" Harvey shouts, his voice raises again.

F*ck, that hurt like a slap in the face.

„Yeah, well maybe I am not anymore.." Donna whispers.

She doesn't have much to lose anymore, anyway.

Harvey inhales sharply.

„What?" he asks, going through all the possible men she could have fallen for now.

„I am not in love with David, I don't think I ever really was!" she shouts and looks up at him.

„So this is what this is all about? You don't see it as useful for yourself anymore, so you just wanna stop it?" Harvey says, anger raising in his chest again.

„No..that's not what I meant.." Donna replies quietly, but she is interrupted by Harvey.

„Really? Because that's the only reasonable explanation for all of this." Harvey screams.

Anger and the urge to listen and apologize are battling their own fight in his chest. And like most times, anger wins. It is the best defence mechanism he learned.

You know what, I need some fresh air! If you want it to be over, it's over!" he says then, loud enough for everyone in- and outside of the apartment to hear.

With that, he leaves a completely shattered Donna in his room.

When Harvey opens the door, still furious, he bumps into someone. As it turns out, that someone was Scottie.

„Oh..hey Scottie." he greets her.

„Hey Harvey, I..I.." she stutters.

„What are you doing here?" he asks then, slowly closing the door behind him.

„I..I actually came here to talk to you." she explains then.

„Oh..okay..do you maybe want to take a walk? I really don't feeling like going in there, again." he replies and she nods.

Scottie heard everything after all.

„So, what was all that about?" Scottie asks, while they are entering a small park.

„Donna and I had a fight." Harvey replies and sighs.

„So you two are over?" she probes him.

„You heard it, didn't you?" Harvey answers and Scottie blushes a little.

After a while of walking, they sit down on one of the benches.

„Can I ask you something?" Harvey asks then.

„Sure." she replies.

„Why did you ignore me all these weeks and want to talk to me out of the blue now?" he asks and looks at her.

„Because I heard a rumor that you two broke up and I needed to talk to you." she whispers, feeling a little embarrassed.

„I guess that's reality now...but why did you ignore me all these weeks anyway?!" Harvey says, digging deeper.

That wasn't hard. With her he can take risks, because deep down, he knows that he can get over her. Donna is different.

„It was hard to be in love with you, whilst you were in love with someone else." she replies, watching his reaction very closely, „and I guess I was right after all."

„What?! Who are you talking about?" Harvey asks, „Why does everyone needs to talk in a different langue today?!"

He sighs.

This day could really be over now.

I am talking about Donna?!" she says.

„Donna?" Harvey whispers, shocked.

Donna?

„Yes?! The person you were together with until an half an hour ago." she replies, obviously confused by his reaction.

Harvey signs.

„That was just a game. We weren't together for real..we just wanted to make you and David jealous..." he admits quietly.

Scottie is stunned by his answer.

„So you are not in love with her?" she asks then.

„No.." Harvey replies quietly.

„I still like you..so?" she whispers and turns her head towards him.

Their lips meet for a short kiss.

There are no fireworks, no goose bumps. Nothing. It felt just like it did when they were together for the first time. But what is suddenly so wrong with this? What changed?