Bonus: Friend in need

Your days had been filled with patching things up with Steve (you had moved in with him within a day), getting to know Wanda and Vision, trying to redeem yourself in Natasha's eyes and being teased by Sam Wilson in the friendliest way. The days were full of hesitance, awkward conversations, bashful looks, but also with laughter and sense of camaraderie.

You would train with the team too and interact with the soldiers and staff at the compound. You couldn't but notice some recruits shooting you curious and hungry looks as you were a new piece of meat at the base – and mostly you couldn't help but grin mentally at their suggestive smiles freezing on their lips as Captain America himself casted them a murderous look. Live was good.

The only thing truly bothering you (apart from no contact to your parents, naturally), was the lack of response to your attempts at reconnecting with Matt. Before you had disappeared, you would sometimes hang out with him, occasionally with his colleagues too, and you would talk about everything. Sometimes you would lend him a helping hand when dealing with the crime in Hell's Kitchen despite Steve being a bit sore about it.

You had been trying to get in touch with Matt and he just wouldn't answer.

Of course, he could have just been pissed at you, but you sensed there was more – you had read about Frank Castle's trial Nelson and Murdock had blown up (especially Matt, actually), about a shooting and a hostage situation with Daredevil on the scene, and you were truly worried about him.

So when an invitation from Tony to an event he was hosting at the Tower came about a month after you had arrived to the compound, you practically begged Steve to come, even when you could get to the centre of the city in many different ways and for various different reasons. You weren't ashamed to share your ulterior motives – and Steve was being strangely understanding. After all, he knew what it was like to hear radio silence from someone he cared about.

You headed to the Tower an evening before the party, Tony greeting you enthusiastically and directing you to your old rooms which remained almost untouched. You weren't surprised, but it left you touched anyway.

With Steve's blessing and a kiss on your forehead, you headed to Hell's Kitchen in hoping to reconnect with your friend.

When he opened the door after what could be five minutes of your insistent knocking, you froze.

Sure, you had expected him to look like crap – Nelson and Murdock had apparently fell apart and he must have been exhausted by the rather recent event, but... you weren't ready for the empty eyes and the bruise-like circles under them. He greeted you in loose sweatpants and a hoodie, thick fluffy socks, hair a mess, dark stubble on his jaw and... the eyes.

You gulped, trying to get it together as your heart felt like beating its way out of your chest. Jesus, Matt. You took a deep breath – before you could even open your mouth, he cut you off with husky voice.

"Leave me alone."

A chill ran down your spine as your heard him speak up. The emotion behind his voice – deeply buried under the thick layer of flatness – was enough to make your head spin and crush your soul.

"Christ, Matt," you breathed out, your eyes stinging at the sight of your friend hurting so badly. He didn't call you out on the blasphemy.

"I asked you to leave. I would appreciate if you listened."

With those words, he closed the door – or tried to, while you stuck your foot in the doorway and your hand shot up on instinct. An annoyed expression twisted his emotionless face. It got you wonder – for some reason it felt familiar.